• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Down Your eGullet: a weekly wine

Craig Camp

Another critical aspect shared by both Bordeaux and Chianti Classico is winemaking. Today the techniques and winemaking philosophies of both regions have become striking similar because they are trying to make more or less the same style of wine. While there are certainly differences in the wines coming from the different varietals and unique soils and climates, the fact of the matter is that fine Bordeaux and Chianti Classico have become more or less interchangeable at the table..."

Click here for 2001 Le Fonti Chianti Classico Riserva and Vito Arturo.

Looks like a heavyweight Craig.

The comparison to Bordeaux is interesting and needs some thought.

Good luck with the Piemonte project.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Looks like a heavyweight Craig.

The comparison to Bordeaux is interesting and needs some thought.

Good luck with the Piemonte project.

Thanks Andre the first issue will be out in June.

As far as Bordeaux and Chianti Classico go the point I would make is not that they taste exactly alike (although some of the oaker versions do), which they don't, but that they carry a similar weight and texture. Therefore modern Chianti Classico and Bordeaux are interchangeable when matching wine and food.