• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kerrville/Hill Country Suggestions

LDLee

My wife and I are off to spend the next three weekends with the inlaws at the Kerrville Folk Festival. As there is only so much peace, love, hugging from people who haven't bathed in several days, natural fibers and banjo playing at 3 in the morning I can take, I will be going off reservation at least once each weekend.

Any restaurants or wineries in the area you suggest we visit? All trips will be during the day. Have to stick around at night for the concerts. Thanks.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

As there is only so much peace, love, hugging from people who haven't bathed in several days, natural fibers and banjo playing at 3 in the morning I can take, I will be going off reservation at least once each weekend.

How could you want more than this? You must be very hard to please. :wink:

How about :

Mamacita's

Kerrville

Good Tex Mex

Altdorf

Fredericksburg

Good German Fare

Dutchman's Market

Fredericksburg

Good smoked sausages and cheeses

Dietz's Bakery

Fredericksburg

Been there forever-great bread

Nice drive from Fredericksburg to Kerrville-2 ways to go, they are both pretty scenic

Hope this helps. There are alot of people here who know a hell of a bunch more than I do about this subject. I have family in the area, which is the only reason that I know about these places. Clearly there is tons of barbeque in the area, but I will defer to one of the smoke fiends to reccomend these.

Feeling dirty and want to get clean? Schlitterbahn is the answer to that particular problem. I love that place. Spring fed waterpark. Now where else but Texas.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

HI, LDLEE!

as a graduate of TIVY HIGHSCHOOL in kerrville, home of the fighting tivy antlers - not the whole deer- just the antlers, i feel particularly qualified to answer your questions. this will be the 2nd yr ever that i missed the folk fest. i do have 4 of the bestest of the best recs for you.

1. the tortilla factory. it is on jefferson behind the heb (across the street from my dentist, but that doesnt help you unless you break a tooth) HAVE THE CHALUPA COMPUESTA. i cannot stress the importance of this enough. you will be back here singing my praises for suggesting this.

2. hill country cafe. on main (i think) (ask around) the best diner-type food anywhere!! they make the best BLT in the WORLD!!!

3. hill top cafe. outside fred. http://www.hilltopcafe.com/default.htm

AMAZING FOOD and a GREAT WINE LIST and GOOD MUSIC!

4. becker vineyards. also outside fred., but on the johnson city side. I AM ADDICTED TO THEIR VIOGNIER. and last time i checked, they had lavender growing at the vineyard for lavender honey.....

have a good time and tell rod hi for me!

lisa

"Animal crackers and cocoa to drink

That is the finest of suppers, I think

When I'm grown up and can have what I please,

I think I shall always insist upon these"

*Christopher Morley

Old Republic Inn, 225 Junction Highway for a ladies-who-lunch kind of place with kick-ass homemade desserts. If you’re coming in from Quiet Valley Ranch on Hwy 16, turn left on Hwy 27, keep going on past the HEB and it is on your left just before you get to 5 points--very near Mamacitas. Not sure they are open for anything other than lunch.

Cowboy Steak House, 416 Main Street for big ‘ol steaks. Same directions but it’ll be on your right before you get to 5 points.

Joe’s Jefferson Street Café, 1001 Jefferson Street for nice atmosphere--it’s in an old house, pretty good food, and some wine selections. Same directions except turn right on Hwy 27, go down a few blocks and turn left on Tivy St., left on Jefferson. Can’t miss it—it’s a big yellow house.

Oh, and I second the vote on Hill Top Café outside Fredricksburg. Great Cajun, Greek, and Texas food and really, really good homemade desserts. I’d call ahead for reservations on weekends. And in Fredricksburg I like the Navaho Grill and the Peach Tree Inn too.

ya know, im a little confused... if the folk fest is imminent, why isnt it raining??????

:biggrin:

xo

Edited by ElfWorks (log)

*Christopher Morley

Been in Kerrpatch since Friday afternoon and not a drop yet. Weird. Plus, I was at the Arts & Crafts Fair this morning and it was downright cool 'til about noon when the sun appeared and ruined it for all of us. Good thing I thought ahead and slathered on that SPF 150. The new Fair location's pretty nice and unlike the old place at Schreiner, probably won't get washed into the Guadalupe when the sky finally does open up....

this must be one of the signs of impending apocalypse.

damn. i am getting scared!

:biggrin:

xo

*Christopher Morley

Thanks everyone for the info. Unable to go off reservation last weekend other than to buy supplies Sunday afternoon. Afternoon's were spent listening to the New Folk concerts. Since this is a food forum, I won't tell you about the acts.

As for the weather, it did rain a little both Friday night and Saturday night. Saturday morning had us fooled, since it was cool (for Texas). However, the apocolypse was diverted. On Sunday, we were reminded about the true Central Texas summers. My truck said it hit 104. According to one of the artists, the rosin melted off her bow as soon as she hit the stage. Thank goodness for Shiner Bock. Big Earl's is on the festival grounds, so there is good barbecue here.

Also a reminder, the Kerrville Wine and Music Festival will be September 3-5, 2004. They are still working on the acts and the wineries. Will let you know more as I learn more.

"As far as I'm concerned, bacon comes from a magical, happy place" Frank, John Doe

As I was leaving Kerrville on Sunday I whizzed past Mamacita's and noticed a big, empty lot where Old Republic Inn used to be. Rats...I loved their desserts....

And talking about another sign of the apocolypse, there are now both a Lowe's and a Home Depot in Kerrville.....YIKES!