• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White bread or Double roti

Alright you Atkins fans.. move aside for this discussion please.

I use bread in many different ways -- bread fritters, as a binder for potato croquettes, in a salad (I learnt from my mother in law) called sanja... and much more

do you use white bread in your Indian kitchen?

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I would categorize our use as follows:

Light Snacks:

- Bread Pakoras (fritters), Plain bread dipped in besan batter and deep fried

- Variety of sandwiches, plain or grilled sandwiches with tomato, cucumber and chutneys

- Tiranga (Tricolor) sandwiches, Triple deckers, one layer of cream cheese, one layer of green mint chutney and one layer of tomato sauce, cut into triangles. A must have on India's independence day. All colors resemble the indian flag, hence the name Tiranga.

Heavy Snacks:

- Stuffed Bread Pakoras, Two slices of white bread with spicy potato filling in between, dipped in besan and deep fried.

- Braed Rolls, Dipped white bread in water, squeeze, stuff with potato filling and deep fry.

Desserts:

- Bread pudding, Bread left to dry out and then made into a milk based pudding. Will have to get the details from my SO

- Shahi Tukda, Fried white bread then dipped in sugar, cardomom syrup. sprinkle with crushed pistachio.

count me in.most of the above and a mince filled version of the bread roll.that bread bhel sounds v.interesting.shahi tukre/double ka meetha an all time favourite and a bread gulab jamun(not such an abomination!)pav bhaji ,bombay toast ...and somedays i must have white bread with my fish curry!er..i think i'd better go now. :unsure:

really nothing to it Monica-essentially white bread soaked in milk,squeezed dry and kneaded into a dough with a little sugar,milk powder(optional but gives a lovely colour to the fried dough) :wink: nuts if you like and enough of the milk to make reasonably firm 'jamuns'.deep fry and drop into sugar syrup flavoured with cardamom and rosewater.heat through gently and retire for a decent interval.

Bague25 - Tell me more about your bread kachories.. they sound so good

Sorry to dissapoint you Monica, what I call bread Kachoris are just plain bread rolls :sad:

Dip slices of bread in water and squeeze out excess water immediately. Form a cup with the soaked bread in your palm. Fill with about a tablespoon of any leftover veggies/mince. Cover with bread casing and deep fry.

I have also earlier given a similar recipe using hardboiled eggs (see the chutney link)

Edited by bague25 (log)

Guest nimki

I love bread upma. it's the one thing I could make easily as a child. This was in the years before white bread started getting a bad name.

Monica, the way I make it, you just have to keep tossing the whole thing because the bread gets burnt very easily. So actually a lot of oil is not require to make bread upma. Just sufficient to fry the spices and onions/garlic/green chillis.

The best part of bread upma is that some of the bread sticks to the bottom of the karahi (wok?) and it needs to be scraped off (khurchan) and its crisp and crunchy and I sprinkle a little on top of each person's plate because otherwise fights break out!

And I confess to a liking for - deep fried bread.

I know I know. my only consolation is I hardly ever eat it. :(

bague25-bombay toast is a savoury version of french toast.typically a little onion and green chilli chopped into the beaten eggs and proceed as for french toast.i would say cold french toast is right up there on my list of great comfort foods!