• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Clotted vs. Devon Cream

TJHarris

I've had clotted cream in London (several times) and kaymak in Turkey (every chance I got) and the jarred clotted creams available here in the USA. The fresher creams in London and Istanbul were probably better, but jar clotted cream is better than no clotted cream at all, IMO. I have also used mascarpone cheese in the same way as I would clotted cream.

Though I yield to no one in my passion for lipids, the clotted cream in a jar (or Devon cream in a jar -- and yeah, I've tried both) taste, to me, like nothing more than fat. Not unlike spooning up a clot of Crisco. There's no dairy flavor, and...well, there isn't really any flavor at all.

Marscapone is wonderful, but it has a tang that I don't always want. Ditto creme fraiche. Nope, what I want, what I crave, is fabulous, yummy double cream, bursting with fresh dairy goodness.

Marscapone is wonderful, but it has a tang that I don't always want. Ditto creme fraiche. Nope, what I want, what I crave, is fabulous, yummy double cream, bursting with fresh dairy goodness.

I don't know where you are located, however if you can find a Mexican market in your area try some of the Mexican, "Grade A Table Cream". This is a sweet cream that is twice as thick as ordinary "heavy" cream. When you take a spoonful out of the jar it stays slightly mounded on the spoon.

You can thicken it further by pouring it into a paper coffee filter and letting it sit in the fridge for several hours or overnight. It is just pure cream, no sweeteners, no additives.

I also buy Labne or Kefir cheese at the middle eastern markets. It has only a hint of "tang" not at all like sour cream, and is quite thick. I mix these two products together for spreading onto scones with jam or marmalade or spoon over fruits or sweeten slightly for dipping strawberries.

My preferred taste is also for a plain cream - I have never cared for marscapone, it always tastes somewhat "off" to me.

For fruit salads I sweeten sour cream - I use Splenda because I am now a diabetic but in the past I used sugar whipped into sour cream because whipped cream always tasted too sweet to me.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 15 years later...
On 5/24/2004 at 2:59 PM, John Whiting said:

Both are from the West Country. Devon cream is a particularly rich concentrated variety of clotted cream; Cornish cream is somewhat rougher. Both involve a slow and gentle heat treatment, which gradually reaches the scalding point. The original purpose was to extend its usable life when refrigeration was not so readily available. It closely resembes Near Eastern Kaymak and may have been introduced by Phoenician traders two thousand years ago (according to Alan Davidson).

But Kaymak is central avian in origin. how could Phoenicians have introduced it?