• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurant Rec Needed and Question

amyo28

Hello all. I am an intern here in DC for the summer. My family's coming for memorial day weekend and I was wondering what a good place to go eat on Friday night would be. I don't know if getting a reservation this late would be hard or not. Steak, American, French, Seafood are ok -- probably no italian or asian. I prefer medium price ($10 - $15 an entree). I live in Foggy Bottom on 23rd and E, but we could take the metro to dupont circle or go into Georgetown. Any recommendations?

Second question: I am addicted to Diet Sierra Mist. Is there any grocery store around here that has it???? I currently frequent the Senior Safeway (which is SOO true, I was there today and there were two elderly ladies chatting with the checkout girl while she was totally ignoring me! :smile: ) and they have like, NOTHING. I have also been to costco and no luck there either. I am substituting right now with 6 pack bottles of Diet Sprite, but I am really looking a 12 pack of cans of Diet Sierra Mist or alternatlively diet sprite or diet 7up. I have a car to use on the weekends so I can go far out. I am thinking of trying Trader Joe's in Fairfax tomorrow since I am meeting someone out there. Any ideas?? Thanks!

-Amy

there's this certain little hole in the wall up connecticut avenue by the uptown cinema where the cafe/front room has a nine dollar menu. whats it called?

palmoil-enema? peal-of-encomium? palatable-enchantment? palatial paladin of the palette? this palaverific post palls the peruser who protests at such postprandial postings i fear.

but theyve got real nice burgers, hotdogs, fries, chicken, you know, real american type stuff; i dont know where they get their grape juice but damn! aint no welches thats for sure.

i know i'm not the only peripatetic palooka whose paltry palms palpably perspire whilst passing the periphery of this place. anyone know this place i'm talking about?

there is no love sincerer than the love of food

- george bernard shaw

i feel like love is in the kitchen with a culinary eye, think she's making something special and i'm smart enough to try

- interpol

If you can get over your anti-Italian food stance, Sette might be a nice option for your parental visit. Check out that thread. Inexpensive pizza, pasta, etc. Nice atmosphere and outdoor dining. No reservations.

Indique in Cleveland Park can be inexpensive if you watch the alcohol intake. But call asap for a reservation.

I think most of DC's steakhouses are out of your price range. Annie's Paramount fits the bill, however not knowing your parents, I hesitate to recommend it.

there's this certain little hole in the wall up connecticut avenue by the uptown cinema where the cafe/front room has a nine dollar menu. whats it called?

palmoil-enema? peal-of-encomium? palatable-enchantment? palatial paladin of the palette? this palaverific post palls the peruser who protests at such postprandial postings i fear.

but theyve got real nice burgers, hotdogs, fries, chicken, you know, real american type stuff; i dont know where they get their grape juice but damn! aint no welches thats for sure.

i know i'm not the only peripatetic palooka whose paltry palms palpably perspire whilst passing the periphery of this place. anyone know this place i'm talking about?

Palena's nice, but would the parents be up for not sitting at a table? The $9 choices are on the bar menu.

Did someone go on an Absinthe bender

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Palena's nice, but would the parents be up for not sitting at a table? The $9 choices are on the bar menu.

I'ts not a bar menu; its a cafe menu...and there are probably 10 tables in the cafe, along with the 8 or so bar stools where you can order the $9 plates.

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

Palena's nice, but would the parents be up for not sitting at a table?  The $9 choices are on the bar menu.

I'ts not a bar menu; its a cafe menu...and there are probably 10 tables in the cafe, along with the 8 or so bar stools where you can order the $9 plates.

Thanks for clarifying.

Childe Harold does weekend brunch and the entrees for lucn/brunch/dinner are mostly within your price range. The upstairs may be more conducive if you are with your 'rents.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

• 2 weeks later...

Ivy's Place?

I am addicted to Diet Sierra Mist. Is there any grocery store around here that has it???

Georgetown Safeway had it last night.

Anyone know where I can find a 20-pound tub of sasspirilla and 12-count packages of pre-wrapped dried mutton strips? Damn, I got quite the hankerin'... and Safeway just ain't gettin' the job done. :raz:

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

I am addicted to Diet Sierra Mist. Is there any grocery store around here that has it???

Georgetown Safeway had it last night.

Anyone know where I can find a 20-pound tub of sasspirilla and 12-count packages of pre-wrapped dried mutton strips? Damn, I got quite the hankerin'... and Safeway just ain't gettin' the job done. :raz:

:laugh:

I'm all out of freeze dried wolverine nipples too.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.