• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tante Marie's Cooking School Cookbook

Cusina

I just purchased Tante Marie's Cooking School Cookbook by Mary Risley. It is a great read... I think there is much for me to learn as her goal is to teach you the guidelines of cooking and serving food rather than just presenting a bunch of recipes. Though, the example recipes do sound divine and I love that she gives her instructors lush praise and credit for the recipes that they contribute to the text. She obviously has an appreciation not only for the techniques that she presents, but for the context in which they were developed. I love getting a little bit of cultural history with each recipe and lesson. I definitely can see it becoming a reference tool for me.

I'm curious, have any of you attended her school? It sounds like quite the institution.

Edited for trigger finger, posted before I was quite ready... oops.

Edited by Cusina (log)

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I also have this cookbook and like it a lot. There's a great recipe for chicken stuffed under the skin (I think it is a Richard Olney recipe.) She's been doing cooking spots on one of the local TV news shows for years, and although I've never taken any of her classes, she's a great teacher on TV. Here's a link to her website-lots of recipes plus details on her classes. (It is in San Francisco.)

Edited by marie-louise (log)

Ninadora... I believe, though I've never been, that is is more of an amateur school. The kind of place where you take classes for fun rather than profit, but perhaps someone will correct me.

Thanks, marie-Louise for the info and the link. I love the sound of the school's cooking parties. I think it would be a hoot to throw one. Too bad I'm so far from san fran. I'll be sure to try the chicken too.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I love the sound of the school's cooking parties. I think it would be a hoot to throw one.

I went to one there and it was pretty awful. But in fairness, I think the host helps pick the menu and this was a big party of about 40 people and most everyone wanted to socialize and drink wine. In the end, they couldn't control the food and it went from bland to outright gross.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

I haven't attended the school but 2 good friends have taken a short series on cooking basics. One was pretty much a newbie but the other is a serious foodie and a good cook. She just thought she could use some real training. Both loved the place. The foodie said she'd tried another teacher in SF who offers classes but thought Tante Marie's was much more welcoming and committed to the skill AND pleasure of cooking.

Also -- the school has been generous in providing gift certificates to auctions for the non-profits I've worked at. A solid school in my book. :smile:

Ingrid

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

I once taught a week-long course at Tante Marie and can verify that it is one of the most respected culinary schools in the country. Mary Risley, its founder, is a genuine icon in the food world and most deserving of the prestigious awards that she has received throughout the years. Not surprisingly, her book is one to treasure.