• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Baithouse closed?

Now, I know the Baithouse is not everyone's favorite but I dearly loved it and have heard the rumor that it has closed permanantly. I tried calling and the phone is disconnected. Does anyone know anything about this? Maybe I should buy the site-it would be perfect for my oyster shack.

Yep, 'For Sale' sign out there.

Go grab it, kiliki!

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

If I had to pick my favorite relocation to this spot it would be the "Boathouse".

Even so i've been playing with doing something there similar to a New England type of year round "Shack" type of place that i've set up previously with lots of 1/2 shells, Sheefish, Chowders, and everything else that could make the magic work with the deck and the view.

Anyone else interested?

I've even got most of the equiptment ready on hand including EVERYTHING, even the hoods etc., all in storage.

Irwin :rolleyes:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

If you had good fried clams Irwin, my wife would probably give you enough business to stay solvent. I actually suggested this on the "what does Seattle need" thread....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

If you had good fried clams Irwin, my wife would probably give you enough business to stay solvent. I actually suggested this on the "what does Seattle need" thread....

tighe:

Good 'Fried Clams" everywhere I've tried them in the Seattle area tasted as if came out of the Freezer pre-packaged never better then mediocre.

I did experiment with fresh shucked clam bodies from the East Coast and they came out tasting better that any served locally.

I also tried utilizing the firm meatly parts of Goeduck bodies and was surprised that they tasted better then almost any Breaded Clams I've ever eaten. I served them at my Restaurant in Hawaii where they became very popular using a seasoned Panko, Cornmeal Breading.

I have always felt that traditional foods should be served traditionally. It's okay to add your identity to YOUR specialties, as long as you provide customers with items that they anticipate and expect.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

If you had good fried clams Irwin, my wife would probably give you enough business to stay solvent.  I actually suggested this on the "what does Seattle need" thread....

tighe:

Good 'Fried Clams" everywhere I've tried them in the Seattle area tasted as if came out of the Freezer pre-packaged never better then mediocre.

Too true, too true. My wife is from Boston (and I went to school there), so she knows what the real deal is. Every time she is back there, she has to have them.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946