• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canadian Prime

Marlene

I was shopping today at Bruno's for a few things when a sign at the butcher's counter caught my eye. "New, Canadian Prime Striploin Steaks". A touch on the expensive side at $24.00 per pound, but hey, it's Canadian Prime. Canadian Prime is never seen in butcher stores here and in very very few restaurants.

Guess what's for dinner tonight :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene, how did you know I was craving a good steak. Will have to try it tonight or tomorrow for sure. Please report back on your meal.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I was not sure what Canada Prime was so I looked it up and found these two(and other) websites that describe the Canadian beef grading system.

This is the CANADIAN BEEF GRADING AGENCY.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/cbga/grades.html

Also you can see it here grading information at the Beef Information Centre.

http://www.beefinfo.org/fs_grading.cfm

Just for those who want to know difference between the US and Canadian beef grading;

Grade Equivalency with the United States

The minimum marbling standards for USDA Prime, Choice and Select are identical to those used in Canada for Canada Prime, Canada AAA and Canada AA respectively. Although there may be some differences between Canada and the U.S. for other grade criteria, the Canadian industry believes that grade equivalency is a realistic and desirable objective.

Taken from CANADIAN BEEF GRADING AGENCY.

Real Quick: Canadian Standards are much higher than for USDA. Therefore a Canadian Prime cut is much better (more marbeling, better musculature etc) than the USDA Equivalent.

I haven't had a chance to post on the steaks we had. They were, in a word, simply amazing. Well marbled, (more like a rib eye actually). Strip loins are known for being a "firmer" piece of beef, but these were incredibly tender and rich. Were they better than USDA Prime? I wouldn't say better, but they were certainly equal to.

The steaks were about 1 1/2 inchs thick and grilled up very nicely. At $24.00 lb, I don't know how many people will buy these on a regular basis, but Bruno's has indicated it will carry them for at least three months as an initial experiment.

Now I just have to get them to order me a Canadian Prime Rib Roast :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene, we tried them the other night, too. Very impressed and we'll certainly buy them again. Maybe we need to start an eG campaign to get the Cdn. Prime Rib. I am going to ask my butcher at the market when I pop down later if he can get this for me.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Strangely enough it is my understanding that the majority of Canadian prime is bought up by the large "steak" houses frequented by our Southern neighbours. As a result of a week dollar, they are better able to pre-purchase lots of cattle ensuring a steady supply, but in terms of not only the consumer but as well the Canadian restaurant operator we are unable to compete. Think as well, Copper River Salmon, once the Japanese discovered it they increased the price beyond what our domestic market couls support. That is certainly what is so special about Canadian Prime being available to the consumer market. There really is very little left for us CDN's, let alone the consumer public. Supply of exceptional beef is difficult enough, I have a hard enough time keeping a supply of dry-aged AAA organic beef in my kitchen, let alone one that has been dry aged for 6 to 8 weeks . I pretty much by all of this cut (as is ther tenderloin, and rib-eye purchased exclusively by restaurants.

I also buy the off cuts, shank and heart of beef and the occassional pork belly, pig's head, ears, snouts and whatever innards they are legally allowed to sell me, to be honest I rarely get to sell the really cool stuff heads, kidneys, sweetbreads, testicles and brains. Those of you interested, I will forgo the culinary limitations of the restaurant I operate, of course I can do it in the restaurants ethnicity if requested, the only problem is sourcing the goodies, please request!

(PLEASE START NEW THREAD, I WOULD BUT DO NOt KNOW HOW)

The real problem is that as long as the likes of Car(K)gILL, "CON"agra and the other corporate food manufacturers are involved in food production to fuel industrial needs, and fast food is an industry then their influence will be felt. Econimies of scale is the name and the consumer is unimportant. (Strangely enough my beef supplier holds out product to sell to freezer customers, can you believe that, they screw me to take care of their loyal long-term customers, what principles how can you not respect it.

These corporations have had their influence trickle down to the fine dining world, high turnover, forced employment, restaurant econo-geek [not eco] who knows more about numbers than the spiritual and communal pleasure of food and the personal enrichment and reward of achieving this target. These are the people that seem to prosper, yet there are to many examples of skille

BY GOD< WHAT A RANT< EGULLET READERS< I AM SORRY< Too drunk too prood read, too proud to erase (For ill or will)

"When the going get weird the weird turn pro"

"Why be a fly on the wall, when you can be a fly in the ointment"