• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Craft Bar

Wilfrid

I've usually enjoyed a positive restaurant experience when dining at any meyer/colicchio joint. A stylish and cozy atmosphere surrounding nice plates, good wine, and friendly service. All for a reasonable price

Where have you had great ny meals ?

The restaurants I have truly enjoyed recently include Blue Hill (which I know people on egullet also have enjoyed), Red Cat, Tocqueville, Union Pacific, Esca, 71 Clinton Fresh Food and Nobu.

While I have had great meals at many other restaurants, these are the ones I have been to more recently (last 6 months or so).

I am going back to Blue Hill (for the 3rd time) next Saturday and will be trying Prune for the 1st time the week after. Does anyone have an opinion about this restaurant?

Wait! Just realize something. All the stuff you guys are raving about (ie. Chacuterie, meatballs, salumi etc) are stuff that I cannot eat. Hmmm...may be need to give up ideas of giving CraftBar another try.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Wait! Just realize something.  All the stuff you guys are raving about (ie. Chacuterie, meatballs, salumi etc) are stuff that I cannot eat.  Hmmm...may be need to give up ideas of giving CraftBar another try.

How about the fried, stuffed Sage leaves ?

I think Prune is overrated .I have been there for dinner and brunch. What

really annoyed me about the dinner was the mess they made of pork cooked

in milk. I have made this dish many times, and it is always succulent, that's the

point of the dish, their version was dry and rather tasteless. The succotash, served with it however was very good. The desserts as I recall were also kind

of dry and tasteless. The brunch was very ordinary a much better one is served at Noho Star not far away. Not to mention the uncomfortable setting and tables so close together that you can easily eavesdrop, not something I willingly wish to do. A far better choice , right down the street, is The Tasting Room, Unfortunately, also intimate, but with much better food and a terrific wine list.

Wait! Just realize something.  All the stuff you guys are raving about (ie. Chacuterie, meatballs, salumi etc) are stuff that I cannot eat.  Hmmm...may be need to give up ideas of giving CraftBar another try.

How about the fried, stuffed Sage leaves ?

If what Bond Girl can't eat is meat, she can't have the fried sage leaves, either. That's what they're stuffed with, no? Well, if she still wants to try CB, there are some veg items -- I think I already mentioned roasted veg which were excellent. But then again ... not everyplace is for everyone. :sad:

Thanks for the recommendation Suzanne. I have a psychosomatic allergy to meat (seen one too many slaughter house). I am trying the roasted veg. tomorrow at lunch. Will report back.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

Didn't get to have the roasted veg. but had a very good salad.  CB is a lot better when it's not busy and during the day.

Ay, there's the rub.

Jake

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.