• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Marriage Proposal Successful!!

lemonice1

She said YES!!!  I wanted to thank all of you for your thoughtful responses.  We went to Firebird for dinner (amazing decor) and afterwards went upstairs to the parlor bar. I got down on one knee, popped the question and she said "OH MY GOD" (over and over and over), then she said YES!!! And we lived happily ever after (it's been a week now).  Thanks again for your help.  

Awesome! Did you try the home made honey vodka? I've tried to get their recipe, but it is very elusive.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

congratulations and best wishes!

What kind of a reaction did you get from others in the bar when you proposed? Sustained applause? Rounds of drinks sent over?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

When I first read the thread title, I was going to say, let us know if you still feel the proposal was successful in thirty years. ;)

Seriously, let me offer my congratulations.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Hi everyone! I'm the girl who said YES!! in New York.  I just wanted to say that every thing was perfect.  Just like a fairytale! The food was fabulous and the proposal was incredibly romantic.  The truth is that for who ever said that " once she sees the ring she won't care where she is" you are partly right.  However, it wasn't the ring, it was the man who was holding the ring.  It wouldn't have mattered if I was in front of the Gray's Papaya hot dog stand, it still would have been perfect because he is the perfect man for me.  I also have no doubt that in 30 years from now I will be even more in love with this man than what I am today.  I love you Brandon

Now that's what I call followup. You know, we're always telling people, "Let us know how it goes." But this is one better. We now have reports from all key people involved in the incident. This is the way it should be. Of course, it would have been more fun if the female in question said something like, "I'm only marrying him for his money," but true love will have to suffice for the time being.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)