• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quality fish/seafood in DC area?

As I mentioned in another thread, I'll be in DC May 1-4 to visit my cousins. They recently were gifted with a bottle of ~25-year-old Montrachet, and, lucky me, would like to BYO-it to dinner on the 2nd or 3rd (Sun/Mon). For medical reasons she follows a macrobiotic diet that allows fish and seafood but prohibits dairy, most nightshades, corn, soy, and non-whole grains. So, we'd like to go to a restaurant with some ambiance that does creative and impeccable fish/seafood.

She mentioned Kinkeads and DC Coast as two possibilities, and nixed Pesce. Are there other recommendations? Perhaps a place that does not specialize in seafood but nevertheless does an outstanding job with it?

Thanks in advance...

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Oceanaire is good for a high end experience. I enjoy Johnny's Half Shell in Dupont Circle myself. There have been lots of posts on Johnny's - do a search on the DC page for more info.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

Oceanaire is good for a high end experience. I enjoy Johnny's Half Shell in Dupont Circle myself. There have been lots of posts on Johnny's - do a search on the DC page for more info.

Oceanaire is "good??" They only have the best oysters and crab cakes in town. Their hash browns a la Oceanaire are deadly. Their fish is as fresh as anyone's. They have good deserts as well.

Oceanaire is "good??" They only have the best oysters and crab cakes in town. Their hash browns a la Oceanaire are deadly. Their fish is as fresh as anyone's. They have good deserts as well.

I had lunch at Johnny's today. Excellent, as always. I like Oceanaire alot, too. You have to know what to order there. The grand shellfish platter is awesome. The crabcakes are great. Simple fish is done well. The sides are crazy, but very good. Dessert feeds 4. Curious why Pesce is nixed. I like it very much.

Mark

Curious why Pesce is nixed. I like it very much.

I have, too. For some reason she said she wasn't impressed with her last meal there, so would prefer going someplace else.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

After numerous e-mails, my cousins finally decided that we'll go wherever the heck we want on Sunday (I'm guessing Indique or Lavandou) and we'll drink the Montrachet at home on Monday, with yours truly being head chef. OK by me.

Thanks for everyone's input. I've mentally filed away the info for future reference.

Just to toss in a monkey wrench, I'll suggest that you consider hitting the Farmer's Market at Dupont Circle on Sunday mornig, chef-ing and drinking Montrachet Sunday night, and going to Lavandou on Monday for their BYOB, no corkage monday night special.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Another restaurant to consider is Ceiba. Creative Latin cuisine in a beautiful space downtown. The menu is heavily weighted in the seafood direction. If you search in this forum there is a thread on it somewhere. We went last Saturday for the first time and were suitably impressed.

Just to toss in a monkey wrench, I'll suggest that you consider hitting the Farmer's Market at Dupont Circle on Sunday mornig, chef-ing and drinking Montrachet Sunday night, and going to Lavandou on Monday for their BYOB, no corkage monday night special.

Funny, that was my original plan. I don't know why they suggested the reverse. Maybe I should ask. :wacko:

Funny, that was my original plan. I don't know why they suggested the reverse. Maybe I should ask. :wacko:

Well, if you're at the market first thing, wave to the tall, bespectacled guy with the hangover and the Starbucks cup. That'll be me.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.