• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipes/pictures/glossaries/blogs

Jinmyo

Anna had wanted some references to glossaries.

Here is one by JFC.

Here is a sushi vocabulary initiated by Steve Shaw.

Here is one by Kikkoman.

This one looks interesting.

This one has a glossary in English - Français - Deutsch - Italiano - Español - Nihongo although onlt for the letter A. :laugh:

About.com has a glossary but they are evil about popups.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 3 weeks later...
Here is a glossary from the good folks at Mutual Trading Co, Inc.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a Japanese Pictionary, including some animations.

• 2 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

This may not be very interesting if you're not in Japan, but I've made bilingual sushi and oden glossaries tailored to i-mode phones, so you can look things up while you're at a restaurant (or even at the oden counter at the 7-11). You can find them at shinkansen.com.

I can add more mobile food glossaries if there's any interest, but those seemed like the most useful ones to start with.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am sure that many who have never been Japan and our unfamiliar with some of the dishes talked about here, although I try to link to pictures in the appropriate threads, occasionally I run across sites that just have a lot of various pictures that don'treally fit in anywhere and thought it would be nice to have a thread to just post some pictures.

For example I found this site with lots of pictures from one person's trip to Japan, really gorgeous pictures of many kids of food (mostly restuarant and department store stuff):

http://fjordaan.redgecko.org/photos/2003_0...japan/food.html

Feel free to add your own personal pictures or interesting sites that you run across,

also feel free to ask questions about anything you may be unfamiliar with! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Thank you for the link Kristin! Excellent travelogue. The breakfast in the food photos made me hungry even though I started eating my lunch (steamed rice and stirfried chicken with red peppers) at 10:30AM. The Japanese certainly know how to package food attractively and the plastic models of food always amaze me with how real they look.

• 1 month later...

Maybe you guys have seen this already, but JETanuki (a great - and that's no exaggeration - blog and resource guide by a JET teacher) has a lot of pictures of izakaya food that you wouldn't normally find in the U.S.

It's referenced from John Thorne's website for Simple Cooking, so many of you may have seen it already.

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

• 1 month later...

Superb, torakris - many thanks! The thread is full of wonderful things too. Just thought I'd leave a note here to encourage others to go investigate.

Up till today, I had one lousy New Year's bento photograph from About.com, so your generous reporting was much appreciated. :)

• 3 months later...