• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Two from Terrabianca

geo t.

1999 Terrabianca Ceppate Toscana, 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot, $49.99, 13% alc.: This ruby dark garnet never does throw much of a nose, so one has to be satisfied with the almost candied black cherry, red currant and chocolate flavors that seem more Cali – centric or Oz – ified than Eye – talian. Some burry tannins initially add an impression of underbrush that extends through the finish, but these smooth out quickly with air, as this medium full bodied red turns sweet, sleek and silky. At first, it almost doesn’t taste like a cabernet – merlot blend, but as it opens, an earthy note comes on to bring it back to a somewhat more characteristic personality. It certainly has the fruit and the structure to last the five to eight years that it needs to fully mature, but will it ever “grow a nose?” Pretty expensive for a wine so lacking in aromatics right now.

1999 Terrabianca Piano del Cipresso Toscana, 100% Sangiovese, $45.99, 13% alc.: This dark garnet is rather more aromatic than the Ceppate, with dried black cherries accented by overtones of sweet oak and hints of earth, tar and licorice. Flavors veer dramatically towards quintessential sangiovese character, with the dried black cherries, licorice, tar, earth and some added underbrush coming to the fore, while the sweet oak is much subdued. Sleek and silky, but not nearly as sweet as the Ceppate, the tannins need at least three to five years for this to show its best, but even so, this is damned drinkable already. Very Tuscan in nature, with that deep, dark sangio personality, excellent (but balanced) acidity and a good long finish, I like this a lot, but I’d like it even more priced at around $10 less.

Imported by Empson (USA) Inc., Alexandria, VA

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.

George Heritier aka geo t.

The Gang of Pour

Terrabianca is one of my favorite producers, but as pleasant as these wines are I do not feel they represent the strengths of this winery. Campaccio, Croce Chianti Classico Riserva and Il Tesoro from their Maremma estate are the real stars of their line-up. While Terrabianca always made "pretty" wines I think they have really elevated their quality in the last 5 years as the wines now have more taste of terroir and less polish. I recently tasted the 2000 Campaccio Riserva and it is nothing short of exceptional and the 2001 Campaccio was also excellent.

I recently tasted the 2000 Campaccio Riserva and it is nothing short of exceptional and the 2001 Campaccio was also excellent.

Thanks Craig, I'll put these on my "short list" of things to try.

Of course, that "short list" keeps getting longer and longer... :wacko:

George Heritier aka geo t.

The Gang of Pour

• 1 month later...
Any comments on the Campaccio 2000 and 99 regular bottling? We have both available for $40.00 cdn here in BC.

Both are very tasty, but the 1999 is (as you would expect) is a deeper, more complex wine that will age longer than the 2000. Terrabianca did a fine job with their 2000 considering what they had to work with.