• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Sun Easter Weekend

Coop

Mia Standsby did a pretty good article on the kind of places I tend to favour for lunch. This will be a weekly series starting this Thursday I believe. It may be worthwile. She has listed Au Petit Cafe, Duffin's Torta's (across the street fron Au Petit Cafe) and the House of Tofu Soup, amongst others. So she seems to have a feel for this.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

Yah, it's a good idea. Good for Mia. Maybe if the restaurants start getting more notice for their lunch menus, more of them will make the effort to stay open for lunch.

I'm not going to starve myself to death just so I can live longer.

I saw that piece in the Sun too, and I'm looking forward to more installments. There have got to be hundreds of really good, undiscovered gems out there.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Great idea. Need general location info too, though. Otherwise I won't know which hole in which wall.

My nominee:

Prata Man. Malaysian, in Richmond (Garden City & Capstan)

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

You're right. The series has degenerated into a tiny piece of crap. I wait all week for this?? Why don't they just run a picture with the caption "Small. Cheap. Good."

• 1 month later...
Kim Phung-Victoria and 43rd Vancouver

Pho Thy-Victoria and 39th

Le Do- Hastings near Nanaimo

What about Kintaro for Ramen? it may be too famous already.

Coop,

With your suggestions, I've been to both Kim Phung and Pho Thy, and they are head & shoulders (and tendon and tripe :laugh: ) above my previous, limited pho experience at Pho Hoa in Richmond. Pho Hoa is mass-produced mediocrity by comparison.

I was at Pho Thy just today for lunch - got a small #2 soup (terrific) and an order of the deep fried spring rolls. I think the spring rolls were the best I've ever had - crispy, tasty, delicious. 8 bucks total.