• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken hearts...

Stigand

The local supermarkets will often carry chicken livers, occasionally gizzards, but I don't remember seeing hearts.

There is an Asian/Spanish market about twenty miles away that we have seen hearts in.

And then there is an Asian supermarket about 40 miles away that sells everything from beef pizzy to beef uteri (uteruses, don't ya know). :laugh:

I love chicken hearts, I've always had them dusted in a bit of flour and fried.

Same here. My mom used to buy chicken offal meats fairly frequently when I was a kid. Liver, gizzards and hearts lightly floured and fried was a standard meal. The hearts were always my favorite... :smile:

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

• 2 weeks later...
I love chicken hearts done yakitori style..on a skewer, grilled, and sauced. Delicious!

I grew up eating them the same way as Modern Day Hermit, but I think they're great that way, too! Chicken hearts are also a fast substitute for the beef heart strips when making anticuchos.

However, they ARE getting harder to track down. You used to be able to buy packages of only hearts (also turkey hearts), then it was the "hearts and gizzards-mostly gizzards" mentioned earlier. Now I have to ask for them in advance.

Edited by thursdaynext (log)

"A good dinner is of great importance to good talk. One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." Virginia Woolf

We can rarely find offal, other than chicken livers that appear and disappear from the local supermarkets.

Hearts and gizards, forget about them, unless we drive forty miles to the Asian market.

Kidneys, lamb or pork, ya gotta be kidding.

Liver, they call it calves, but I will bet the donor was eligible to join AARP.

And I have never seen pig livers in the stores.

Where do the livers of all those lovely veals go?

Those sumptuous, white to tan slices of veal liver, that I would pay big bucks for, I cannot find.

(One time, at a restaurant that we particularly liked, I convinced my sister-in-law to order the veal liver. She stated she detested liver. There was only one order left; would have traded her my veal chop had she disliked the offering. She swooned over it, at least made a half Gainer of a swoon. The stuff is that good.)

One of these days, I hope, offal will once again become considered at least edible by many folk and become generally available.

And why lung is outlawed,? I have no idea. Would buy it in a second and make, yes, the dreaded haggis. Sorry, but I love that stuff and can only get to Scotland every so often.

Sorry, am carrying on. But would be grateful if we could at least find chicken hearts and gizzards easily.