• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Big 30

sextons

So I'm turning 30 :blink: and I'm trying to plan a fun night out to DC with a group of friends. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do but I've never been to any of the places I'm thinking of going so I would really appreciate any input. I'm looking at a Monday night in May (restaurant people - can't go do it on a Saturday) and probably around 10-15 people.

Cocktails: Will probably eat downtown so I'm thinking of starting off with some cocktails at a nice bar - nice meaning fun drinks, fun atmosphere, no sports bars. Cost wise - just not as pricey as say Degrees at the Ritz Carlton. The best I've been able to come up with is Ortanique.

Dinner: Thinking Zaytinyas. I've considered Cafe Atlantico as well. I remember reading some discussions though mentioning issues with groups at Zaytinyas so that's my only real concern. If anyone has a better suggestion - this is the price point I'm looking for and we just need a place that can handle the group size, has good food (of course), and where we can be a little lively (not loud or obnoxious - just 10 people celebrating a birthday lively).

After Dinner Okay this one's a bit tougher for me and the fact that it's Monday night doesn't help. Ideally I would like to go dancing afterwards so I'm thinking H20. (I'm not too particular about the kind of music but I would like someplace where a group of late 20/30 year olds would feel comfortable and just have a good time. It's been a very long time since I've gone to any clubs in DC so I really have no clue where to start.

Thanks in advance for any input!! :biggrin:

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Happy [almost] birthday. I passed that particular milestone last October. If I survived, you will too.

You have some good ideas for your special night.

For the cocktail aspect, I might consider Zola. It's swank, but not as pricey as Degrees (if they had a slogan, it would be: "great spot...when someone else is paying"). I like the atmosphere, the drinks and the appetizers much better than the entrees.

On a Monday night, you might be fine at Zaytinya, depending on what time you are thinking of arriving. In my experience, if you call a restaurant about a large party, even if they don't take reservations, they might still do something "extra" to accommodate you. We found that to be the case at our recent egullet dinner at Sette.

Unfortunately I can't speak to nightlife options on a Monday. There are clubs downtown (e.g., Home, Platinum and the nightmarishly awful PollyEster's), but as to what they'll have going on come Monday night...? You'd need to ask around and/or make some calls.

Zola! Thank you! I knew there were better bars around that area than the Post website was giving me!

The only bonus to it being a Monday night is that I'm feeling fairly hopeful that we won't have much trouble getting a reservation for a group our size. I could be proven wrong .... But the Monday night is definitely going to present a problem for after dinner entertainment. I have arranged a three bedroom cottage for everyone to crash in at our departure point so I suppose if all else fails we'll just head back there and continue the party. :cool:

Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?

Zola! Thank you! I knew there were better bars around that area than the Post website was giving me!

The only bonus to it being a Monday night is that I'm feeling fairly hopeful that we won't have much trouble getting a reservation for a group our size. I could be proven wrong .... But the Monday night is definitely going to present a problem for after dinner entertainment. I have arranged a three bedroom cottage for everyone to crash in at our departure point so I suppose if all else fails we'll just head back there and continue the party. :cool:

Man, you are a good friend, watching out for friends on your birthday. :smile:

Zaytinya takes reservations through about 6:30, I think. Probably too early for you to benefit. But on a Monday? It might work.

Don't know if it's what you are looking for, but Coyote Ugly just opened a few blocks from Zatinya. No bull though.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Don't know if it's what you are looking for, but Coyote Ugly just opened a few blocks from Zatinya. No bull though.

I had thought about Coyote Ugly - seems like it would be a fun place to go. I just haven't talked to anyone or bothered to read any reviews of the place since it opened so I wasn't sure. I'll definitely look into it though! Thank you!

• 4 months later...

So my 30th is coming up very soon, and about 10-12 of us will be meeting up this Saturday for dinner and possibly more for drinks afterwards.

In terms of where to eat, I'm thinking Zaytinya too. Not in love with the food (only been there once), but my guess is that it will be less packed than Jaleo. At what time should we show up? Much as I'd love to make reservations, 6:30 is simply too early. Is the wait gonna be shortest at 7:00, 7:30, or 8:00? That said, if the wait at Jaleo isn't gonna be longer, I'd rather go there instead.

As for after-dinner drinks, I'm looking for a place where we can lounge at a table and chill for the evening with good cocktails. No music/DJ necessary. I read the Penn Quarter ladies night out thread, and got the impression that Poste was most promising?

Advice/recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

As for after-dinner drinks, I'm looking for a place where we can lounge at a table and chill for the evening with good cocktails. No music/DJ necessary. I read the Penn Quarter ladies night out thread, and got the impression that Poste was most promising?

I don't like Poste for dining OR cocktails. It's too bright in the main room - but if you can get a seat in the dimmer, more atmospheric back room, it's nice. If you have a large group, though, it won't work.

I like Zola better than Poste for cocktails.

The oft-overlooked Ortanique might also be cool.

Glad to see that we could be of service. I disagree with Jenny about Poste. I liked the main dining room because of the open kitchen. Plus you can have enough fun without the whole room turning around to watch you. I can't wait to go back and sit there again. Plus, the cocktails are excellent and the truffled french fries are to die for.

Zola's bar is very smoky. I've only been for drinks but each time the smoke is so bad that I have left after just one (if that).

Have you thought about Cafe Atlantico?

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Do places like Cafe Atlantico and Andale have separate bar areas? We're gonna be a big group, probably ordering drinks only (having stuffed ourselves at Zaytinya already), and plan to lounge around for at least a couple of hours, so the folks in charge probably wouldn't be as receptive to us -- correct me if I'm wrong.

Do places like Cafe Atlantico and Andale have separate bar areas? We're gonna be a big group, probably ordering drinks only (having stuffed ourselves at Zaytinya already), and plan to lounge around for at least a couple of hours, so the folks in charge probably wouldn't be as receptive to us -- correct me if I'm wrong.

How big will your group be? I think Andale has a better bar area than Cafe Atlantico and usually I've had better bar service there.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.