• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking dried pasta like risotto

silentbob

I recently caught an episode of America's Best Chefs where Alain Ducasse made a pasta dish by cooking some dried pasta in a pan, then gradually adding stock and stirring as one would do with risotto.

This technique seems awfully intriguing to me. Unfortunately, the show was vague about details (cooking time, amount of stock added). Anyone have tips on what types of pasta would work best, and how much stock should be ladled in each time? Better yet, any recipes would be greatly appreciated.

I would think that you would just first stir the dry pasta in oil/butter in a pan, then add a ladleful of hot stock, stir till absorbed, and keep going until the pasta was done to your liking.

But I'm confused as to why one would do this: isn't the whole point of going through the laborious add stock-stir-add stock-stir process of making risotto to coax the starch in the rice into becoming that silky glaze in the finished dish? Would dry seminola act the same way?

It seems like a lot of labor.

Yes, I do this with orzo. Sorry, I don't have a recipe, but you do it exactly as you would risotto: toast the pasta in oil (it starts to 'click' just like the rice), then add the hot stock/liquid ladle by ladle, stirring in between until it is absorbed. Nice texture and flavor when done this way.

Cheers,

Squeat

But don't try it with rigatoni. :laugh:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I've also done it with broken spaghetti/angel hair. In fact, I've combined same with rice. Voilà - home-made Rice-a-Roni! with only thrice the effort, and it only tastes about ten times better. But the principle is the same. (Also goes to confirm that even the timing matches that of risotto.)

I've also done it with broken spaghetti/angel hair. In fact, I've combined same with rice. Voilà - home-made Rice-a-Roni! with only thrice the effort, and it only tastes about ten times better. But the principle is the same. (Also goes to confirm that even the timing matches that of risotto.)

In my experience (using orzo) it goes more quickly than risotto--under 15 minutes as compared to the 20 or so for risotto.