• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bialetti Espresso Makers

maxmillan

I say go for it. I love mine. I'm not a frequent coffee drinker, but when I do drink coffee it's always cafe au lait or something similar (note, the Mukka doesn't really make capuccino, just as a Moka maker doesn't really make espresso), so the Mukka is perfect for me.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have just moved and am wondering if anyone has any experience using the Bialetti Mukka pot on a vitroceramic range? I seem to either get it TOO hot (so the coffee tastes slightly, and bizarrely, burned) or not quite hot enough, so it's kinda..tepid.

Also having problems with the seal, but that's a separate issue.

My caffeine monkey and I thank you in advance.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

• 1 month later...

For Mukka makers out there, could you tell me approximately how much coffee (in volume or weight) you're using in your Mukka? i.e. the amount of coffee grounds, not the amount of coffee the Mukka produces.

I bought some Intelligentsia Black Cat decaf while I was in Chicago last week, and I'd like to portion it out into bags and vacuum seal them. Then when I return to Japan in a few days, I'm going to put them in the freezer. It has already been a week since I had the coffee ground (I asked them to grind it for a moka maker), so I've already lost a lot of flavour, I'm sure!

• 4 months later...
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have just moved and am wondering if anyone has any experience using the Bialetti Mukka pot on a vitroceramic range?  I seem to either get it TOO hot (so the coffee tastes slightly, and bizarrely, burned) or not quite hot enough, so it's kinda..tepid.

Also having problems with the seal, but that's a separate issue.

My caffeine monkey and I thank you in advance.

K

Well, 6 months later, you've probably fixed your problem, but browsing around the Bialetti website regarding my own problem, I found that for ceramic ranges, they suggest using med-high heat if starting from cold (ie. if the element is cold), or medium heat if the element is already hot. Then let it sit for one minute on the element once the coffee is made to heat it a bit more.

Now for my question, has anyone used the Mukka without milk (or any other liquid)? I need some espresso to make tiramisu, so I thought I might just use coffee from my Mukka, if I can use the machine without putting any milk in the pot part. Their website cautions against using any other liquid but milk, but doesn't caution against not using any liquid at all.

I have not and do use mine regularly still.  They also just released an electric version which is very cool, but even pricier.

Rob, were you reading my mind about merging the two threads? I was trying to decide which one to post my question to, so I just picked the one with the most replies (which wasn't the one I started, but it had one more reply than mine did!).

Ooooohhhh, an electric one! That might come in handy when I move back to Canada. I have a feeling that it won't work quite as well on an electric stove as on gas. It's about the same price that I paid for my stove top one. I think I got a bit ripped off there! :angry:

I might have to just try making some coffee without the milk. Or perhaps I could just buy some espresso from Starbucks or something. That would probably be a better idea, rather than risk ruining my machine!

BTW, I also noticed on their website that they say not to use detergent or abrasives on the Mukka, just to rinse it out and wipe with a soft sponge. So then how does one get all the milk stuff out?

• 4 months later...

I love my Bialettis. :smile:

If it's been in storage, it's possible your ring looks intact but is dry rotted. Check that. Make sure it's tight so all the good steam doesn't escape before it coffees up.

Try to position it so the handle doesn't melt.

Don't wash them in the dishwasher. In fact, I rinse the whole thing out by hand and don't soap it up like all, I tend to treat them like cast iron.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”