• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meccas for Foodies in darkest North London

I'm very excited to report that we've just had an offer accepted on a flat in Muswell Hill. As the paperwork has been coming through I've realised just what leaving NW3 means :sad:. Aside from excellent tube access, I know where my nearest organic fruit and veg shop is, my amazing butcher is a stone's throw away, there are great delis within walking distance and Borough Market is that little bit closer.

Not being hugely familiar with Muswell Hill, East Finchley, Alexandra Park or Crouch End, I've also realised that I haven't a clue where replacements for these types of establishments might be lurking. Strolling around Muswell Hill Broadway I was quite cheered to see a particularly good looking cheese shop, a very substantial looking fish monger's and two interesting looking delis. Actually, it was spotting these places that in the end convinced us that we could take the plunge and live somewhere with no direct tube access.

If anyone can add to this list of food shops - or even very good restaurants in the area, I would be much obliged. Also; local outdoor markets, farmers markets, organic fruit and veg sellers, good butchers, etc. would also be appreciated.

Please don't tell me that I can take a bus down the hill to Islington and find everything I need. That's just not fair.

Hallie, just a quick post for now.

Welcome to the area, we live over in Southgate, which is only a few short minutes away from Muswell Hill. The cheese shop you mention is very good indeed and Toffs just around the corner is an excellent Fish and Chip shop. There is also the Fine Burger Co, which I haven't been to and La Porchetta- which serves huge pizzas (and the worlds biggest Calzone). It used to be very noisy but served good reasonable food, but surly service meant that we haven't been back for nearly two years. As you can tell there is a bit of a dearth of "fine dining" establishments in the vicinity. Where is that Fishmongers you refer to? We venture up to Cockfosters to the excellent Poisson, to get our fish.

Crouch End - has numerous Thai places ( Thai Café is ok) and a Loch Fyne restaurant as well. It also has a French place called Les Associes- we have never been( tried once but it was packed). But I do remember that the chap on the next table to us, on our visit to Hibiscus two years ago, talked enthusiastically about it and was taking his dining partner there the next day.

Finchley has the Two Brothers - fish restaurant, which is also reputed to be good.

Sorry it’s a bit sparse- if you need more information let me know.

I came very close to moving to Crouch End solely because of a restaurant there called Banners. Not only does it have (all day) the best breakfast in the entire world, (hand-made sausages, and piles of thick cut buttery toast, fantastic bacon and black pud - I was was dreaming about it when I moved to America, but that's also because I'm really sad), but it occasionally has great lunch and dinner menus - soul food (Carribean, Thai, but also American South oddly enough). I can't think of a better place to spend a few hours, beit first thing Sunday morning, or last thing Thursday night. Unfortunately, I'm not the only person to know about it, and you have to get there pretty early. Also, I haven't alas been there in about a year (now I'm as Southerly as the day is long). But it is glorious.

I second Porchetta.

There was - many years ago now - a decent Indian Restaurant called Fleet Tandoori 2 - off the Muswell Hill roundabout, but I don't know if it's still there.

Also also also (don't tell BLH that I told you), if you head down Archway, and the Holloway Road, and turn left up Highbury Hill Road, you'll find the original La Fromagerie. And if you go there on a Sunday morning (having been turned away from Banners cos you couldn't be arsed to get out of bed in time - yes yes, it's happened to us all), there's a great Turkish place opposite called Iznik (or Iznic or Iznick) that do wonderful small plates food - stuffed vine leaves, and goats cheese in filo, and sauteed aubergine with yogurt and paprika - it makes for a wonderful Sunday breakfast with the papers - they do fry-ups as well, if you're picky.) Actually, if you cut through the back of Crouch End, and pass through Finsbury, you can be there in under 10 mins. So long as Arsenal isn't playing, you'll be set.

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Hi Hallie - hope the move all works out okay. We've lived in Crouch End for 7 years, and are also about to move closer to Muswell Hill. The deli up there (Mauro's?) is very good; better than N8 where there's only the Broadway Deli (on Broadway parade) which is basic but fine. As far as butchers go, there's an organic one in Crouch End on Middle Lane - just next door to O's Thai Cafe (which has gone downhill, in my view - very greasy, overpriced and not exactly welcoming!). Walter Purkis and sons is the fishmongers in Crouch End (I think they also have a branch in N10) and they are great. There's been much talk locally of farmers markets being established both at Alexander Palace and Crouch End Broadway (outside the town hall), although nothing has materialised as yet.

In terms of eating out, there's not much in Muswell Hill and there are quite a lot of dodgy places in N8, but if you look hard enough there are a few gems. I second Moby on Banners - breakfasts are just the ticket after a heavy night, and their Caribbean food is also pretty good; only drawback during the daytime is the hoards of screaming children and prams blocking the whole restaurant. Bistro Aix on Topsfield Parade is fabulous; fantastic bistro food - Lynn Marie Sanders is the chef there. Also worth a look is the Victoria Stakes pub at the bottom of Muswell Hill - it was gastrified about 2 years ago, but still feels like a proper pub. Haven't been to Boombar on Crouch End Hill for a while, but they've also had a recent revamp - they do authentic South African fare ranging from kudu steaks, to bobotije, to boerewurst and more. Up at Highgate the Rose and Crown on the High Street has also had a gastro-makeover - food wasn't wildly fantastic the lunchtime we went, but showed promise. If we're feeling brave, we venture to Archway and St John gastropub on Junction Road - reliable although not cheap.

Hope this helps,

Sarah

There is a store called "alsur" on 7 Crescent Road, N22 7RP, 0208 374 3544, I've never been up there, but my friend who lived around the corner always brought me Spanish things, tubs of banderillas, manchego, membrillo, etc... call them before you go, apparently they were only open certain hours...

This is a little further down, maybe, but Stroud Green Road between Finsbury Park Station and the Tesco is lined with greengrocers, butchers and even a fish van on Saturdays, I think - a lot of fresh produce plus lots of African and West Indian stuff, chiles, interesting flours and cooking ingredients...

Along that road also is Chez Lilline, great seafood restaurant, specialsing in Mauritin style cooking - next door is their fishmonger.

Also, more votes for Banners and La Porchetta...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

Wow. Thanks everyone. Keep them coming.

Bapi, I believe the fishmonger is Walter Purkis and Sons. Its somewhere up around the Broadway. Whenever I've been there its looked great - mountains of ice with a rainbow of whole fish and fillets slithering around on top. That's one thing that I've never been able to find in NW3 - a decent fish monger. There also seems to be an old fashion looking grocer's shop with what looks like a complete Edwardian interior, selling coffee, condiments (sp?), and other deli -ish goodies.

We've already sampled the Burger Kitchen (or whatever its called). It gets a thumbs up! Apparently a branch of Giraffe is meant to be opening this month. I like their breakfasts. We must try La Porchetta - sounds interesting.

There seemed to be a number of places that looked interesting on the Broadway - among them a place with a Deli attached called Pickles. Anyone been there?

Its good to hear about the places in Crouch End (Banners sounds like a winner). I had a look in the red guide and although nothing is listed for Muswell Hill (and virtually nothing for Barnet at all), under Crouch End the following places get crossed forks and spoons: Les Associes, Florians, and Bistro Aix.

I had a thought - should we form ourselves into a North London gastronomic search party and perhaps hunt down some of the better spots in the area? Might be a fun way to get to know local e-gulleters as well as decent places to eat. Anyone up for it?

Edited by Hallie (log)

There's been much talk locally of farmers markets being established both at Alexander Palace and Crouch End Broadway (outside the town hall), although nothing has materialised as yet.

Sarah, I will go to bed each night praying that this happens soon. I wonder what the hold up is?

Why don't you get in contact with them and see what they can do? If you lobby them, then perhaps something might get going.

They did try a market in Palmer's Green for a while, though, which didn't come to anything.

Here's the details:

Mark Handley and Cheryl Cohen

London Farmers' Markets

Po Box 37363

London N1 7WB

Tel: 020 7704 9659 Fax: 020 7359 1938

Email: info@lfm.org.uk

If you are heading as far as Stoke Newington, though, there is a biodynamic/organic farmers' market there: here's some info: click

I'd love to know the Palmers Green one is about five minutes drive away.

Hallie forgot to say - venture up to Highagte village as well. Lots of nice pubs and a great Indian called Parsee just down the road, which I am just about to post about.

B

Edit - Just read your post Hallie - definitely up for meeting up and congrats on the move.

Edited by Bapi (log)

Just read your post Hallie - definitely up for meeting up and congrats on the move.

Bapi - The move probably won't happen until mid to late summer, as we are waiting for the people we are buying from to find a new house. Its the way of the property chain, as Kirsty Allsop might say.

Nevertheless, if we could get a group together and target one restaurant (maybe one that someone heard was good but not many have tried) we could get this idea to fly.

What do you think?

Tarka and Spatchcock are up in them there parts.

And speaking of... how about Morgan M? It's a bit more of a drive, but no that far.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Welcome to Muswell Hill! We've been in the north part of Hampstead Garden Suburb for thirty years and my wife shops regularly at Muswell Hill. The old "dry goods" shop is Martyn's which has been there for a century or so. It's excellent for coffee, tea, nuts, dried fruit, Marriage flour, and the whole range of Cottage Delight condiments. No perishables.

Go along Fortis Green Road towards East Finchley and in a couple of streets you'll come to Midhurst Butchers. A lot of free range and organic meats; we get our Christmas turkey from them (free range bronze) and last year's was the best we've ever had.

Just before you get to the Finchley High road, on your left, is Maajo's (sp?). It is to Indian takeaways what Fortnum and Mason is to grocery stores.

To the right up the hill a couple of doors is another excellent fishmonger, Scott and Son. Just beyond them is a good fish and chip shop, *much* cheaper than Toff's.

Back to the corner. Cross the High Road and Fortis Green Road becomes East End Road. About a mile along is another butcher shop, Graham's, more expensive than Midhurst but excellent. Their Lincolnshire sausages are to die for and at Christmas time they sell the finest Christmas puddings in the world, made only for them. No one who has eaten one ever buys any other kind.

All these shops are interconnected by good bus routes -- the 102 between Muswell Hill and East Finchley (and the tube), the 143 along East End Road. Both go all the way to Brent Cross shopping centre.

If you've forgotten a vital ingredient, there's a large convenience store in the Hampstead Garden Suburb Market Place on the A1 (102 bus), run by Turks, open 'til 11 every night, with a large stock of Middle Eastern, Indian and Kosher grains, herbs, spices and condiments, as well as a greengrocer stock at the front with a lot of unusual fruits and vegetables.

There's a large Waitrose in Finchley, just south of Tally Ho Corner.

A little further afield at Temple Fortune, also on the 102 bus route, are three good Turkish restaurants within a block of each other.

EDIT: Read the thread in this forum on the Parsee at Highgate and the decision of where to meet for a meal could be settled without further discussion. I've been to a demonstration/workshop given by Cyrus at Cafe Spice Nemeste and he's a genius.

Edited by John Whiting (log)

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

A font of information as always John. Thank you for the suggestions - especially the Indian take-away. I was a bit worried about the possibility of wandering into a take-away waste land. At the moment we live and die by the Weng Wah Chinese on Haverstock Hill. I don't know how we will ever replace that loss, but a fabulous Indian is a good consolation.

I am interested to see that so many of us live in North London. Its a good sign!

The Parsee would be a great venue. As I said there are numerous pubs we could meet up at before hand in the Village.

This is sounding like a plan.

What are the possibilities of doing it on a Friday or Saturday night? Something to think about for late April, early May, maybe? (We'll be away on hols from 8 May - the 15th) but a date after then might be alright as well.

Who else might be up for this?