• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Al's Soup Kitchen

Liza

If you're in the nabe, and don't mind waiting in line and obeying orders, he really does make some awesome soup. Just digging into his Seafood Bisque - mussels, shrimp, scallops, lobster claws, flavored with paprika (I think it's the smokier Spanish sweet) thyme, black pepper.

Also on the menu today, Mulligatawny, Black Bean, Shrimp and Corn Chowder, Chicken and Chili, Chicken Vegetable.

He makes good soup, it's true, but it's quite overpriced in my opinion. For around what he charges, you can get a similar quantity of superior clam chowder at the Grand Central Oyster Bar. The abuse issue doesn't bother me all that much, since I've always behaved properly and been treated well enough, but I can't forgive the prices.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

He makes good soup, it's true, but it's quite overpriced in my opinion. For around what he charges, you can get a similar quantity of superior clam chowder at the Grand Central Oyster Bar. The abuse issue doesn't bother me all that much, since I've always behaved properly and been treated well enough, but I can't forgive the prices.

i've been treated more horribly at the oyster bar.  yeah, it's kinda fun to have that gruff service, but don't treat me like an a-hole...unless, of course, you know me.

I've been to SKI a few times in clement weather, eating on a bench in the plaza fronting an apartment house one block north on Eighth Avenue.

Does anyone know of a nearby indoor space, like a public atrium, for when the weather's crummy?  The 57th Street BMT station isn't a very pleasant lunchroom.

"To Serve Man"

-- Favorite Twilight Zone cookbook

You should be able to get away with sitting somewhere in the Parker Meridien hotel, or in one of the Central Park South hotels. I think the Parker Meridien may even be under a public-space mandate of some sort on part of the property. There's a funky new hotel in the neighborhood too, called the Hudson -- it has a lot of open lobby space where non-guests seem to do a lot of hanging out. I don't have a totally clear recollection of the layout of Roosevelt Hospital anymore, but I seem to recall some nice nooks and crannies in there too (in the relatively new building).

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 7 months later...

So, how much does this soup cost? Is it pretty outrageous since the seinfeld thing or has it always been pricey?

What could this guy do to make such (supposedly) good soup? Does anybody here claim to make better soup? You gotta post your recipe if so.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Its always been expensive. I think for like 8-10 bucks depending on the soup you get a Pint size soup container, a peice of bread and a fruit.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The last time I went, the soups were anywhere from $7 - $12 for the seafood selections. The main problem I have with SI are the hours, only on weekdays and closed in the summers. Never had the clam chowder at Grand Central Station but the shrimp bisque was absolutely divine at SI. Before it even opens, you will usually see a small line but it moves briskly.

i've been treated more horribly at the oyster bar.  yeah, it's kinda fun to have that gruff service, but don't treat me like an a-hole...unless, of course, you know me.

Yeah, I remember. Didn't the waiter ask if you were a hooker, or something?

Yeah, I remember. Didn't the waiter ask if you were a hooker, or something?

hardy har har.