• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot or Not?

Cusina

I'm so backward, I never quit using lard. There are some things that it cannot be replaced in, no matter what. Chipotles are definitely running their last race.Try any of the other peppers, do, and chipotles go the way of the jalapeno. And thai birds, man, there are 50 other thai chiles, with more density of flavor, as well as heat.

Give the cattle producers the benefit of the doubt about the cattle raising. We are not the ones who would knowingly endanger youall.

My one fond memory of food presentation which I'd like to see return: The Flaming Shashlik, or Sheeskabab. I loved those! Good souvlaki. Good pitas in a store. Shad roe available in Montana.

Mostly, good ole eating that made you happy,not snappy.

I'm so backward, I never quit using lard.

Ah, me dear, you are not backward. Just enlightened.

Lard and coconut milk need to be brought back to their former glory of the relatively healthy foods that they are.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

eh. it's jsut showboating, imo. It's doesn't have an appealing look, and there's not much to taste.

that's 2 important eating senses down.

ahhh...the inevitable product of a poorly crafted foam....

one that is properly made is quite flavorful and eye-catching...

so you are not wrong and neither am I....

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

Yep, if me or tryska hear of asafoetida in a dessert, that will be too far!!

Ah, Queen fifi, you restore me when I have my doubts!

Fake cajun!! Give up with stuff even a self-respectin' cajun wouldn't combine-and that's saying a mouthful of gumbo! :biggrin:

i would love these to be "in":

ballotines

gravies with interesting roux (bacon fat, foie gras fat, rendered avacado fat)

trotters

sherbets

i would love to say goodbye to:

seared foie gras

vegetable confit (isn't confit cooked in it's own fat?)

all those other artfully missused culinary terms to make a menu seem more interesting

"i bet you smell like strawberry ice cream... the good kind" - e.dunn

Since i'm not really hip to what's in or not, i don't know what to say i would like to be "in" again. but i know what i'd like to see out:

any kind of "coulis" on something that isn't a desert (that's just me though, i don't think berries have any place except in dessert).

foams also. yes, i realize they provide this and that experience, but if you need foam all that much, have a beer. eat actual food.

every semi-upscale resto in central PA having the same dishes, basically.

and yes, it is annoying seeing chipotles everywhere.

another thing i never could stand, and i'm sure this will raise some hackles, small portions anywhere. i respect that the chef has some good artistic inspiration or whatnot, but i like to spend a bunch of money on more than a few morsals, good as they may be, and however intricate they drizzle little essences and crap around it.

"yes i'm all lit up again"

I'm ready for these to go:

- roasted red pepper ANYTHING.

Oh no :shock: . Roasted red pepper cream sauce on pasta - topped with sauteed scallops - is one of my favorite dishes. Will you give the roasted red peppers a reprieve because I'm using cream and pasta too (pretty please :smile: )? Robyn

Bring back:

The milkman

and real heavy cream, not the ultra pasteurized. And what's up with that,anyway? If it's pasteurized, isn't that enough??? The stuff has no flavor whatsoever anymore. You have to go to Great Britain for decent cream.

And bring back raw milk cheeses. All of them.

Get rid of:

Butterball turkeys and any other protein that has been injected with flavored water.

Fruits and vegetables out of season. Can't get cranberries in the summer? Too bad, so sad! They grow in the FALL, for heaven's sake. Don't come bitching to me about it.

Oh no :shock: . Roasted red pepper cream sauce on pasta - topped with sauteed scallops - is one of my favorite dishes. Will you give the roasted red peppers a reprieve because I'm using cream and pasta too (pretty please :smile: )? Robyn

I'll give you red peppers as "in" if you'll make sun-dried tomatoes go away.

Deal? :wink:

I'll give you red peppers as "in" if you'll make sun-dried tomatoes go away.

Deal? :wink:

Deal! I have never liked sun-dried tomatoes - even when I try to pulverize them in a cream sauce (anything that doesn't sing when pulverized into a cream sauce isn't worth anything IMO). Robyn

Ok, you can have them, as long as they're the ONLY dish on the menu with roasted red peppers. I'm sure I can find something else :smile: .

I'll take the sun dried tomatoes. I love them, trendy or not. I love tomatoes, period.

As for the milkman....we have one. Seriously. We get deliveries once a week. They deliver lots of other things, too, like eggs and heavy cream and bread, but the milk is from an in-state cooperative, and my husband (who likes milk more than I do) says it's the best he's tasted.

It's one of the few advantages of not living in a decent sized city. :smile:

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Please, no more with wait staff who introduce themselves. I'm not interested in getting to know the wait staff, I just want the damned food. And referring to themselves as "servers." I feel like I'm in whore house or something.

Not food, but still....

Ok, you can have them, as long as they're the ONLY dish on the menu with roasted red peppers. I'm sure I can find something else :smile: .

I'll take the sun dried tomatoes. I love them, trendy or not. I love tomatoes, period.

As for the milkman....we have one. Seriously. We get deliveries once a week. They deliver lots of other things, too, like eggs and heavy cream and bread, but the milk is from an in-state cooperative, and my husband (who likes milk more than I do) says it's the best he's tasted.

It's one of the few advantages of not living in a decent sized city. :smile:

Marcia.

Since the only dish I make with roasted red peppers is the pasta sauce - it will be the only roasted red pepper dish on the menu :smile: . Besides - I use the peppers in a jar - rinsed and dried - so I doubt a roasted red pepper aficionado would consider them "real" roasted red peppers.

My husband likes sun-dried tomatoes - so they do wind up on the table now and then. And we both love tomatoes.

Where do you live (I don't think I've lived in a place that had a milkman for over 40 years)? Robyn

Where do you live (I don't think I've lived in a place that had a milkman for over 40 years)? Robyn

Colorado Springs. I believe there are actually two dairies who deliver. In fact, the way they drum up business is they go door to door, giving out free half gallons of milk.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Where do you live (I don't think I've lived in a place that had a milkman for over 40 years)?  Robyn

Colorado Springs. I believe there are actually two dairies who deliver. In fact, the way they drum up business is they go door to door, giving out free half gallons of milk.

Marcia.

I was only in Colorado Springs once. We were driving north on the interstate and got stuck in a blinding snow storm. Our wheel wells kept freezing up. We figured it made sense to quit driving early - i.e., - at noon :smile: - instead of risking our lives going 2 miles an hour. So we checked into a motel on the interstate and waited there until the next day - when the snow stopped. Do the milkmen deliver in weather like that? Robyn

Can go away

Sushi

Hamburgers made with lean beef and then well done "for safety" Those are now hockey pucks!

Overly manipulated food - foams and all - just processed food in expensive dress

Frou frou martinis in glasses big enough to soak your feet

Please give me more

Restaurants with real personality on the menu

Vegetables - any fool can cook a steak but what the chef does with vegs is the real story

Sane portion sizes

Dry aged and appropriately seasoned beef

House dressing - something really made on premises

Children with table manners - corollary no babies/ toddlers/ cranky children in adult restaurants after 7 pm. No ill mannered, cell phone abusing adult churls either

Cheese as a course

Really good quality tea with suitably hot water in an attractive vessel