• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is in Fairfield?

LJC

I am really unfamiliar with Conn. and a friend of my wife invited us to stay at their country house in Fairfield. What should I expect? Is there a decent place to take our hosts out or should I bring stuff up from the city and cook?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

It depends what you are looking for. What kind-of cuisine and how much you are looking to spend.

In Fairfield, there is a very good french restaurant La Colline Verte. I haven't been there recently, but went a few years ago and it was excellent.

There's also MAKO, very good sushi.

And then, you're right near Westport with lots of good restaurants as well.

I know I've posted this before, but Meigas in Norwalk is IMHO one of the best restaurants in Fairfield county. Wine Spectator last year named it one of the 5 top Spanish restaurants in the country. Ignacio Blanco (the owner) is one of the finest hosts around. he will guide you through the all Spanish wine list and the chef Luis Bollo who has worked at some of the finest restaurants in Spain (including E Bulli) does a great job.

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

Along the Spanish line, Ibiza in New Haven (a 20 min. or so ride from Fairfield) is also outstanding.

In a slightly different direction, you could also check out Carole Peck's Good News Cafe in Woodbury.

Paci in Southport is your bet bet for hip-formal Northern Italian. Great food, Beard Award-winning setting, Dave (somellier) is great, gets slow when crowded but still worth it.

Meigas in Norwalk for Spanish is terrif, as is the less formal and expensive, but just as good Mecca (right around the corner). (Save the trip to Ibiza)

Fairfield has a bunch of good French places (though there may be a French restaurant shakeout going on). Blue Lemon in Westport is good.

Super Duper Weenie does serve the just about perfect lunch.

Bloodroot is good for good and fairly inexpensive vegetarian.