• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

spelling

Meanwhile back to pasta.  These pictures were from my first attempt at ravioli a week ago:

PastaStrips01232017.png

Strips rolled out to position 8 on the KitchenAid.

CutRavioli01232017.png

Cut square ravioli (after failure of round) filled using Zeroll #40.  Clearly my technique needs a bit more work.  Note the less than well sealed edge.

Ravioli were filled with ricotta, egg yolk, parmesan, nutmeg, white pepper, and a pinch of salt.

SageButterSauce01232017.png

Here is the ravioli plated with a simple sage butter sauce.  The result made up for the cosmetic imperfections.

Last night I rolled out the other half of this batch of dough, which had been frozen.  I made the same filling.  For one thing I noticed last night's pasta was not as tender, though still OK.  This may have been from incorporating additional flour while rolling.  Or it could just be a property of old, leftover dough.

I served last night's ravioli in a light tomato sauce.  This is my favorite sauce with store bought frozen ravioli.  But it did not work at all with fresh.  Once the ravioli were cut into on the plate the ricotta mixture blended with the sauce in a most unappetizing way:  visually, texturally, and with respect to flavor.

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Meanwhile back to pasta.  These pictures were from my fist attempt at ravioli a week ago:

PastaStrips01232017.png

Strips rolled out to position 8 on the KitchenAid.

CutRavioli01232017.png

Cut square ravioli (after failure of round) filled using Zeroll #40.  Clearly my technique needs a bit more work.  Note the less than well sealed edge.

Ravioli were filled with ricotta, egg yolk, parmesan, nutmeg, white pepper, and a pinch of salt.

SageButterSauce01232017.png

Here is the ravioli plated with a simple sage butter sauce.  The result made up for the cosmetic imperfections.

Last night I rolled out the other half of this batch of dough, which had been frozen.  I made the same filling.  For one thing I noticed last night's pasta was not as tender, though still OK.  This may have been from incorporating additional flour while rolling.  Or it could just be a property of old, leftover dough.

I served last night's ravioli in a light tomato sauce.  This is my favorite sauce with store bought frozen ravioli.  But it did not work at all with fresh.  Once the ravioli were cut into on the plate the ricotta mixture blended with the sauce in a most unappetizing way:  visually, texturally, and with respect to flavor.