• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adventures in soda making

girl chow

A carbonator, huh. I don't have one here because we are just too small but that's cool. My first batch of lemon & vanilla soda was too heavy on the yeast (2 teaspoons for 1 & 1/2 gallons) and too light on the sugar (2 cups). This go round I will up the lemon, add another cup of sugar and make do with only 1/2 teaspoon of yeast.

We have been saving wine bottles with the screw caps and that should seal tighter than a used wine cork.

And "fifty dollars " if you plan on doing this yourself please make sure you sanitize the bottles and work in an insanely clean enviroment. bonne chance!

John Malik

Chef/Owner

33 Liberty Restaurant

Greenville, SC

www.33liberty.com

Customer at the carving station: "Pardon me but is that roast beef rare?"

Apprentice Cook Malik: "No sir! There's plenty more in the kitchen!"

Nobody is too small for a carbonator!

What I've got is this... http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18291

Cheap enough and quite useful. You get 3 bottles, one of which you can force carbonate with gas in a couple of days, and the other two come with tight tops that will allow yeast carbonation within a week, and then you can hook the tap up to serve them.

Beware of root beer, as it gets into the plastic and stays there.. but other sodas are fine.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got a recipe for home made tonic water syrup?

I picked up some Quinine (Cinchona) Bark for another project, and have some left over.

I have always wanted to try a from scratch gin and tonic.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I wonder if they'd reply if I sent a note and promised I wasn't opening a competing bar?

Gotta love that guy's mad professor enthusiasm.

I've been thinking about it, and wondering if I should seperate the lemon-lime aspect and the bitter aspect. Be pretty easy to make lemon/lime syrup and some sort of quinine bitters.

Isn't tonic water really just quinine bitters, syrup, lemon-lime, and fizzy water in a convenient pre-mixed single package? Or am I over simplifying?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

1)I've been thinking about it, and wondering if I should seperate the lemon-lime aspect and the bitter aspect.  Be pretty easy to make lemon/lime syrup and some sort of quinine bitters.

2)Isn't tonic water really just quinine bitters, syrup, lemon-lime, and fizzy water in a convenient pre-mixed single package?  Or am I over simplifying?

1) I would think that that may be the way to go until you figure out a ratio you like. Then you can make larger batches with all ingredients together.

2) Yes I beleive that is exactly what it is. I have seen chintona bark(yellow quinine) listed as an ingredient I am not sure if this is another name for quinine or a cousin of it(I.E. Yellow vs. Green Chart.)

Edit: I added the #'s to Eje post for ease of responding.

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)