• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Filled Roll

For me German Curry Ketchup is the most gut wrenching invention, so that's out. BBQ sauce, no sorry it aint gonna work. Lime Pickle is a possibility, but you'd have to have a hangover first- and ideally add a fried egg to the mix.

As to the others, I have no knowledge of them, in my mind they never happened.

Heinz A-1 is a sort of brown sauce, which I suppose would do if nothing else was available, but its not the right thing

The rest are abonimations in a bacon butty.

The bread must be the cheapest white processed sliced sandwich bread, thick cut. "Mothers Pride" or "Wonderloaf".

(1) Major Gray's (any major brand)

now THERE'S a thought. bet that would be delicious on a bacon sarn. which must be made with soft square white sliced totally processed to hell no fibre no goodness bread. Any deviation from this is actually punishable by law.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

As an aside, in Northern Ireland, you can get what's called a filled soda at any Belfast greasy ladle which is basically a large piece of soda bread halved, dipped (fried on one side) and then--as per the name--filled with whatever manner of fried breakfast clobber you can care to name. These fat-monsters are wonderful about three or four mouthfuls but they make your arteries fur up like bearcubs.

...which must be made with soft square white sliced totally processed to hell no fibre no goodness bread.  Any deviation from this is actually punishable by law.

I agree with curlywurlyfi though I reserve the right to the added possible deviation: a mushy, manufactured, processed white roll (which said humble item after all is what began this thread) is also permissible.

Come to think of it, there is another significant variation (though I admit it really is another beast altogether): the 'bacon and egg buttie'. That is, add a fried egg, sunny-side-up, yolk still runny, white just set from a dribble or two of the hot bacon fat spooned over, a grind or two of salt and pepper, on to the generously buttered manufactured, processed white bread or roll, along with the fried middle-and-back dry-cured bacon and a big, really big dollop of brown sauce.

That way, when you take a two-fisted bite, not only the butter (melted from the hot bacon fat), but also the yellow egg yolk and the vinegary brown sauce dribbles down your chin, sometimes all down the front of your shirt or blouse, too.

But then, as Moby has indicated above, this is food to eat outdoors, standing around, say in the North Car Park of Twickenham before a match, or after cooking on a camp stove at Mother Ivy's Bay, Cornwall, or just in the garden on a warm spring (we live in hope) morning.

MP

...a fried egg, sunny-side-up, yolk still runny, white just set from a dribble or two of the hot bacon fat spooned over, a grind or two of salt and pepper, on to the generously buttered manufactured, processed white bread or roll, along with the fried middle-and-back dry-cured bacon and a big, really big dollop of brown sauce.

oh my god, Marco, I swear, you have brought a tear to my eye.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

As an aside, in Northern Ireland, you can get what's called a filled soda at any Belfast greasy ladle which is basically a large piece of soda bread halved, dipped (fried on one side) and then--as per the name--filled with whatever manner of fried breakfast clobber you can care to name. These fat-monsters are wonderful about three or four mouthfuls but they make your arteries fur up like bearcubs.

Ok. I need help. How do I make it to Belfast, get me one of these, and make it back before my wife finishes work. All plans considered. :cool:

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

of course, in glasgow, a filled roll of any denomination isn't complete without a deep-fried potato scone.

and a tin of Irn Bru. or an Irn Bru float, if you're hungover.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

or diet irn-bru if you're from the west end

my brother claims he can tell the difference between Irn Bru from a tin and Irn Bru from a glass bottle. oh, the discerning palates in my family.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

Had to go out this morning to Staples to buy some office supplies (as one does on a Tue morning when you should be doing other things but can't quite get around to it - the life of a freelance). Staples shares a car park with B & Q and what do I spy as I pull in: a greasy-spoon trailer set up in the middle of the car park called, wait for it, Yummy Tummy. It was festooned with signs for 'All day breakfast' 'Black pudding 40p' 'Bacon rolls' etc etc...

How could I resist? The result, admittedly would not be worth getting on a train from Paddington to Exeter St Davids for, but it was not too shabby all the same: flat, floury white bap, three rashers of rindless back bacon cooked on a griddle but still nice and floppy and with a good ridge of fat (I don't have a problem with fat, love the stuff), and genuine HP sauce on offer (not some lableless cash & carry abomination).

I scarfed it pretty quickly anyway, standing up outside in the cold beside the trailer. If I'm being ultra-critical (as one must), the bread wasn't quite airy and insubstantial enough, rather claggy and dense. NO BUTTER, a very serious omission. And HP just ain't quite the same as Daddies, is it? 5/10

White bread: 2 slices hand cut 15mm.

Toast in top oven of Aga - on floor.

Bacon streaky. 4 rashers in tray - top of top oven, leaving to cook while toast cools.

Salted butter on each slice. Marmalade on one. Proper maramalade. 'The Tiptree' from er Tiptree is one of the best, and widely available.

Bacon starting to brown - take out and cool slightly.

The aim is to get the butter not quite melted, thus creamy, bacon warm, and the marmalade as the ultimate foil.

The ultimate foil.

Follow this with a brief trip to the pub and a pint of Guinness.

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

Bacon roll is just that: hot thick (if you are lucky) bacon in a plain white burger bun without the seeds. As distint from a bacon roly-poly, which is a suet pudding, or a bacon butty which is between buttered sliced white bread...

In Edinburgh, not a Burger bun, but a "Morning Roll". It can be confusing the first time you hear somebody suggesting a 'Morning roll and bacon'....

Close, but surely you toast with the wire tennis-bat toaster thingy under the hotplate?

Also I prefer Tiptree "Double One" marmelade

Fine if you only want one shot. The hotplate gets cold, so you can't fry for about 2½ light years afterwards, and also the toast is better from the oven anyway. I'm getting so tiredd of the Aga that I'm actually boiling kettles (for tatties, pasta, rice etc.) to get meals done in any sort of sensible time.

And, botherit, I've not tried Tiptree 'Double One'. Sounds suspiciously like a two fruit marmalade. Will have a go at it when my Duchy Originals has all gone. The latter isn't that bad, and is nicely unset (i.e. realistic), but doesn't have quite the fresh bitter bite of 'The Tiptree'.

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

The aim is to get the butter not quite melted, thus creamy, bacon warm, and the marmalade as the ultimate foil.

The ultimate foil.

Slacker, so far it has gone without comment (Curly? Circe? Moby?) that your perfect bacon buttie has, in lieu of the hallowed and sacred brown sauce (of whichever brand, hey, we're a broad church here), um, er, did I read this right: Tiptree marmalade??

That sounds an awesome and interesting combo: sweet and bitter and chewy in lieu of the smooth, tart and sweet spice of the brown.

I can't wait to try it!

MP

Now, sausage sandwiches, on the other hand, get slathered in English mustard and a layer of Ma Kirkpatrick's Seville orange marmelade.  oh yes.

Mmmnnn, rereading the thread reminds that marmalade is indeed is indeed a feature of the breakfast buttie...but what, how did this pass without comment, 'slathered in English mustard'? Surely you jest, CurleyWurly? Marmalade or no marmalade, how you can you consume anything 'slathered in English mustard'? English mustard is blow-your-head-off stuff and definitely not for the faint-hearted. We've had a small jar of Colman's for what, nearly 20 years, and we've hardly made a dent in it...(and believe me, I buy and consume chillies by the metric tonne).

MP

My internet is down, or there would DEFINITELY be words.

Marmelade? Pinko bleedin' insurgency more like it!

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

What the heck is HP sauce? Is it like A1? Or Lea and Perrins Steak Sauce?

Flavorwise, it's somewhere in between Heinz 57 and A1.

Oh, and there are plenty who do "slather" stuff in English mustard. We go through a jar of Colman's about every 2 weeks. :laugh:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard