• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

IACP conference in Baltimore-anyone going?

JAZ

The International Association of Culinary Professionals is holding its annual conference in Baltimore in April. I'm going to be attending for the first time. Is anyone else going to go? Any good suggestions for dinners (it's being held at the convention center)?

I don't know exactly what you have in mind for dinner, but here are some suggestions. For fine dining, Charleston in Harbor East shouldn't be missed. I also enjoy drinks at the Explorer's Lounge in the Harbor Court Hotel. There is also a very pricey restaurant in the hotel which many like but I prefer Charleston.

One of my favorites right now is Soigne in Locust Point. More casual, less expensive and much hipper than Charleston. Asian fusion. Not cutting edge, but creative.

I also wouldn't miss happy hour at the Brewer's Art on Charles Street in Mt. Vernon. The best rosemary garlic frites you'll ever have and some pretty tasty house brewed beer as well. Also on Charles Street is Red Maple. A very fun place for drinks and Asian inspired tapas. The Helmand is also on Charles, Afghan food. I also enjoy Thai Landing, which happens to be across the street from Brewer's Art.

I think you will be happiest if you get out of the Inner Harbor area and explore a bit. Mt. Vernon is beautiful and you can easily make an evening of bar and appetizer hopping. The upstairs bar at the Brass Elephant is a good place for a drink, although the downstairs restaurant is less than impressive these days. There are several decent Indian restaurants in the area and one upscale, Indian fusion place, Saffron. A little south of the monument are Ixia and Sotta Sopra. Both are fun and have bars in the back.

Hope this helps. If you have any more specific requests, let me know.

Great suggestions Misscindy. I would also add:

Corks - just south of the harbor area in Federal Hill. Small rowhouse setting, with reasonably priced, all-American wine list. And incredible all-American artisinal cheese list.

Vespa - also in Federal Hill. Hip Italian bistro, and well chosen wine list.

To the north, across from the Meyerhoff symphony hall is the recently reinvigorated Spike and Charlie's. All indications are that they have really returned to form.

If you like impeccably fresh, simply-grilled fish, try Black Olive in Fells Point.

The point is, with minimal effort you can find many outstanding local alternatives to the big chains lining the inner harbor. Enjoy your visit, hon.

Looking for something in walking distance. I'm staying at the Wyndham. I guess I can do Inner Harbor and stuff in the area.

I'm looking for something moderately priced and probably would avoid Italian, American and New American.

I've been to Helmand and really liked it. I was thinking maybe sushi or asian if there's anything decent. The most important thing is the food, not the atmosphere.

ETA: Another place that looked interesting to me (from Zagat's) was Tapas Teatro. Does anyone know anything about this place?

Edited by ErinB (log)

I love Tapas Teatro. That said, not everyone does. Although I have not been to Spain, I am quite sure that it is far from "authentic" tapas but that's ok with me. The food is good (same owner as the Helmand) and the atmosphere is fun. It is almost always crowded because it is literally connected to the Charles Theatre. The good news is that tables turn over fairly quickly because people have films to catch. I enjoy the sangria, the food and the scene. And, it is across the street from the Club Charles, which is a great place for late night drinks. Of course, it is not walking distance from the Inner Horrible. Catch a cab. It is on Charles Street just north of the train station.

I hate to be a spoilsport but Baltimore has the least demanding citizens, in terms of food, of any city I've eaten in and our restaurant critic(s) is no better, so do not get your hopes up. I'd be very curious to see your post (and hopefully those of other chefs) after the Convention. When desperate, I go to the Helmand or Tapas Teatro (both mentioned above and run by Hamid Karzai's brother, who famously noted that if he's thrown out of Afghanistan he can always go to work in his borther's restaurant(s)) and then hunker down until I can get to New York, SF, Philadelphia, Washington or Paris.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Ended up going to Helmand and Sabatino's. I was going with people who liked very mainstream food to Sabatino's and it was fine for them, but overall I found it to be pretty average.

I love Helmand.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been waiting patiently for some Baltimore chat on this board. Erin--sorry to hear you wound up at Sabatino's. That's a shame but don't hold it against us. And, glad to hear you enjoyed the Helmand.

John--me thinks you kinda do like to be a "spoilsport" or else you wouldn't have been one. I stand by my original post; I like both the Helmand and Tapas Teatro a great deal. And, contrary to popular belief, some of us take the straw out of our teeth and get out of town occasionally. I love eating in Paris too--try and find a food loving person who doesn't. As for New York, I've had great meals there at places ranging from Daniel to Sripraphai. Of course, I've also had some disappointing, amazingly mediocre ones at hyped restaurants, Tabla jumps to mind. In fact, for fusion, I think Soigne is considerably better for considerably less money.

Overall, it is pure folly to compare Baltimore's dining scene to those of big, wealthy cities. It is a small city with deep blue collar sensibilities. There are quality restaurants in Baltimore, just not tons of them.

We are in agreement on one point, though, and that is the poor state of food writing in Baltimore. It is embarrassing.

I'm talking about Kitchen Memoirs with Michael Ruhlman, Friday morning 10:30 on the 23rd April.

Been a long time since I've been to Bawlmer...but I suspect I'll be drinking my dinner at Club Charles.

I don't think I've ever been to Club Charles. Is it the kind of place where the best option is to "drink your dinner".

Has anyone ever been to Blue Agave on Federal Hill? I tried it a few weeks ago and had some of the best Mexican food I've had on the East Coast. Numerous margaritas and a pitcher of sangria obscures the details of my meal, but I remember being impressed.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I'm talking about Kitchen Memoirs with Michael Ruhlman, Friday morning 10:30 on the 23rd April.

. . .

Oh, yeah. Already signed up for that one. :biggrin: How come they didn't put you on the Humor in Food Writing panel, too? :wink:

Been a long time since I've been to Bawlmer...but I suspect I'll be drinking my dinner at Club Charles.

I don't think I've ever been to Club Charles. Is it the kind of place where the best option is to "drink your dinner".

Has anyone ever been to Blue Agave on Federal Hill? I tried it a few weeks ago and had some of the best Mexican food I've had on the East Coast. Numerous margaritas and a pitcher of sangria obscures the details of my meal, but I remember being impressed.

Yes, Club Charles is only for drinking. Head over to the Brewer's Art nearby for very good food and more drinks (they brew some killer sorta Belgian style beers).

Blue Agave can be hit-or-miss. I've been there several times. Sometimes I'm really impressed and sometimes not. The margaritas are always delicious, though. El Taquito in Fells Point is better (and far cheaper). The best Mexican in the area in my opinion. Bring a six-pack with you.

Chris Sadler