• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Couple of questions for NJ diners?

Lreda

We usually go out on weekend, with other couples or with my girlfriends, we try out different restaurants all the time, and save the weekday to hone our cooking skills.

Last weekend we (us and two other couples) went to Adega Grille (sp?) in Newark, a bit of a pain on Saturday night, but good food and a fun atmosphere. They have a club there after hours also. We found the place on www.restaurantpassion.com

I have to say without diseecting everyone's posts the thing I found most curious is the fact that no one has addressed the fact that you CAN bring your own wine to restaurrants with licenses. I think most would allow this with a little notice when you make your rreservation. Let me make it know then and when I join opentable.com that I will have free corkage nights. Otherwise I do charge a $15 dollar corkage fee, cheap if you think about it and you have a option of having a martini before dinner or a cordial after dinner. The best of both worlds.

When I off on Thursday I'll look better at all the posts, make a few comments and start a new topic with all new questions. Glad you all liked this and it certainly helped me get a little insight.

Lou

I have to say without diseecting everyone's posts the thing I found most curious is the fact that no one has addressed the fact that you CAN bring your own wine to restaurrants with licenses.

i did. :biggrin:

as i said, i don't bother considering it because i wouldn't be bringing a bottle that couldn't be found on most lists (or at the very least most lists have something comparable). for me, i think it's only appropriate to bring something that couldn't be found on the list.

if i had any sort of extensive cellar, i think i'd consider it more often. but as it stands now, i'm mostly drinking young, readily available stuff.

i don't even know if i'd bring a bottle to your restaurant on a no-corkage night. i just wouldn't bother bringing, say, a bottle of zin when you have a reasonably priced amarone, primovito or zin on the list. although i wouldn't care if someone else did.

Edited by tommy (log)

Let me answer all of the questions, instead of my short post from before....D'OH!!!

What night do you go out to eat and why?

Usually Saturday night, and Sunday afternoon.

Saturday night for a nice dinner, and my girlfriend and I love to take daytrips on Sunday, so we usually stop and eat somewhere.

Do you drink more weeknights or weekends?

On weekends, maybe a beer and split a bottle of wine. This weekend we ordered a pitcher of Sangaria with dinner at Adega Grille

Do you prefer to dine as a couple or with others?

It varies, we love to go out with friends, but a nice romantic evening, just the tow of us, is just as nice. (No help for you here :biggrin: )

Is anymore more apt to dine at restaurant with a liquor license if they waive the corking charge?

"Corking Charge"??? What is that?

If a restaurant charges me some obscure charge like that they pretyy much guarntee themselves never seeing me, my family, friends or money ever again.

How far will you drive to a restaurant on a weeknight? Weekend?

Personally, I would drive an hour or so, especially if I could make a day out of it. For example, if there is a good restaurant in a nice historic village where one could walk around (Sugar Loaf, NY type of town).

Is anymore more apt to dine at restaurant with a liquor license if they waive the corking charge?

"Corking Charge"??? What is that?

If a restaurant charges me some obscure charge like that they pretyy much guarntee themselves never seeing me, my family, friends or money ever again.

charging a corkage fee is pretty much standard and accepted. this applies when you're bringing a bottle of wine to a restaurant that sells wine.

Lou,

I usually just read other folks posts, but I have some time right now. so I am going to provide my answers - and I haven't read what others have written so as to not be influenced by them.

Just curious, what night do you go out to eat and why?

Mostly Friday and Saturday - I'm still working full time, as is my hubby, and I am more relaxed knowing that i don't have to go to work the next morning.

Do you drink more weeknights or weekends?

Definitely more on weedends! :biggrin:

Do you prefer to dine as a couple or with others?

We do both...if we don't have plans with friends, dining out as a couple is just fine.

No. While I enjoy bringing my own wine to a BYOB, I am just fine ordering drinks and/or wine at an establishment (like yours) that has a liquor license.

How far will you drive to a restaurant on a weeknight?

15 to 20 minutes (I don't know what that equates to in miles), although I have been known to go into the city during the week to have dinner and see a show.

Weekend?

Pretty far - I live in Middletown,NJ and besides NYC, we have been known to frequent restaurants in "far away" places like Summit, Frenchtown, Montclair, Whippany, Princeton, and, even, Randolph,NJ. It probably helps that I am not the one who usually drives when we go out to dinner. :smile:

Needless to say, I am thrilled that Nicholas is about 10 minutes from our house!

Good luck with your survey!

Carol