• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knock your socks off

DRColby

I don't understand the advocacy of mixing horseradish with mayonnaise, partly because the idea is so un-Jewish and I associate horseradish with Passover.

here's the part i'm not 'getting':

mayonnaise isn't dairy, right? so why is it so "un-Jewish"?

simply asking 'cause i don't know. :smile:

It's just like white bread is un-Jewish. There's nothing treyf (forbidden for being not kosher) about white bread; we just don't eat it. I actually can enjoy mayonnaise made from scratch, but I've never had maror (bitter herbs, usually meaning horseradish) with it.

hey Pan--

i don't like white bread either--but my reason is that you can smush the entire loaf into the space that a Skittle takes. :biggrin:

if we are ever out having a meal, you must explain the fine points of what's treyf and what isn't. and why. because i'm still not getting it. is it because it 'looks' like dairy?

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Total agreement here. A noble condiment. And shall we say limited to no bad end results? Katie, was it you that had the teen glom onto a bottle of that at the holidays?

Yeah that was me. That was quite a few years ago as I was a teenager myself at the time. The Rabbi's son took a big honking whiff out of the jar as the rest of us stood around, mouths agape or forming little "O's" screaming "Nooooooooooo!" in slow motion. Never seen a person turn that color berfore. Never want to again. :shock:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

[re: Mayonnaise:]

if we are ever out having a meal, you must explain the fine points of what's treyf and what isn't. and why. because i'm still not getting it. is it because it 'looks' like dairy?

No. Besides, dairy can be kosher.

But maybe we've gone about as far as we want to go on this tangent here. Perhaps I'll start a thread about foods Jews traditionally just didn't eat, even though they can be kosher.

[Edit: Here's the thread.]

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Horseradish is fantastic when grated and mixed in with mayonnaise and some french mustard (I like Maille or Grey Poupon). Slather onto toast points and use as a sandwich base for some nice sliced rare roast beef, or even better, on a roll with a nice medium rare burger.

About mixing horseradish with a mayonnaise base .... I have bought a product, not unlike Arby's Horsey Sauce, which is made by Boar's Head .. it is just such a mixture and is, albeit sweet, not a bad accompaniment to beef ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"