• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Braise then Grill

Varmint

Eric Asimov's review of Alias in today's Times mentions a dish where a pork shoulder was braised and then grilled. I've never really thought of taking a slowly braised dish and then throwing it on a super-hot grill to add to the crust. Is this a standard technique? Anyone have experience with it? It sounds fantastic.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I don't know how common it is, but I've seen it used to make some incredible ribs (and I don't really like ribs that much).

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I don't know how common it is, but I've seen it used to make some incredible ribs (and I don't really like ribs that much).

Of course! And many people do their barbecued chicken that way, too. I just never heard of it for pork shoulders, and I'm thinking of all kinds of fun things to do now!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I do this frequently with pork sholder, ribs, and even brisket. Just an initial sear then a long low heat braise with whatever aromatics or additions that you desire with a finish on the grill. Did something similar last weekend with a 6 lb shoulder. 3 hr braise then 2 hrs in a wood smoker. Fantastic.

Braise FIRST, Grill SECOND... Never done that one. I am wondering how it will really work, especially on pork butt. When I am done raising a pork butt, it is coming apart. Would you just try to keep it in fairly big chunks and hope for the best on the grill?

Carnitas are kinda sorta like that, but with the pot for frying or broiling instead of a grill. But that is the only relatively common dish I can think of that uses this kind of technique. I don't put preboiling ribs in this category because you don't usually actually braise them. I am defining braise to mean that you take the meat all the way to conversion of the collagen. But that is just my definition.

Do try it and tell, Varmint.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I've braised and roasted a pork butt before. It was fabulous. It was hard to move it from the crock pot to a pan, but it can be done. I painted it with tonkatsu and roasted for about 30 minutes. The crust was beautifully caramelized and crunchy and the inside was meltingly tender. It seems like grilling it might be harder (I didn't turn mine over), but I bet it could be done successfully.

Eric Asimov's review of Alias in today's Times mentions a dish where a pork shoulder was braised and then grilled. I've never really thought of taking a slowly braised dish and then throwing it on a super-hot grill to add to the crust. Is this a standard technique? Anyone have experience with it? It sounds fantastic.

I read the Asimov review this morning and had the same thought. I sear meats before braising to give depth of flavor to the braising liquid. I assume Alias does the same. I don't think you can restore the crust by grilling afterwards. I think you're more likely to get a glazed effect from the reduction of the braising liquid, which I assumed is brushed on during grilling (like Sam's ribs under the broiler).