• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1992 Dom Perignon -- when to drink?

Amuse Bouche

I have a bottle of 1992 Dom Perignon, and I'm wondering when I need to/should drink it. It was given to me a couple of years ago, and I've been saving it for a special occasion, but most special occasions don't lend themselves to drinking an entire bottle of champagne and really enjoying it. Should I drink it right away or would it be better in a few years? When's the optimum time to drink it?

Ditto. Now. A couple of reasons. 1992 didn't/doesn't really have the staying power of other Champagne vintages. Not many houses declared a vintage in 1992 (but Moet & Chandon seems to declare more Dom vintages than other houses).

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Ditto. Now. A couple of reasons. 1992 didn't/doesn't really have the staying power of other Champagne vintages. Not many houses declared a vintage in 1992 (but Moet & Chandon seems to declare more Dom vintages than other houses).

Since it became LVMH so has Yquem.

Mark

I just noticed it's actually '93 -- does that change anything?

No.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host