• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valentine's Day in NJ

Rosie

We're going to Martini's in South Amboy.  Neither of us have been there.

I've never been to Martini's. The seafood lasagna (see menu on their page) looks good. Have you been there before? Be sure to give us a report and let me know if it is worth a trip. Also, is it BYO?

Martini's made for a pleasant night. It started off right; the menu given to Danielle didn't show prices and mine did (I later learned that priceless menus are given to the ladies all year). Live piano added to the occasion.

The food was very good but the prices were steep. The appetizers were all $16. The selections were broccoli rabe, shrimp cocktail, buffalo mozzarella salad, and grilled Portobello mushroom. I had the mozzarella salad. It was served covered with warm balsamic vinaigrette, sided with marinara sautéed eggplant and roasted peppers - very good. She had the grilled Portobello mushroom, which was done up with sautéed spinach, roasted peppers, melted mozzarella and sun dried tomatoes, all served over baby greens - again very good.

I got a special for a meal: slow-roasted lamb shank Portofino ($32). The meat fell off the bone and had a very 'lambby' flavor. It was done up with shallots, garlic, olive oil, Asiago cheese, sautéed artichokes and served over Arborio rice; Excellent!

She got the Dover sole ($32), which was encrusted with almonds and served in a champagne sauce. I typically don't care for sole, however this dish was delicious and is something I would get in the future.

Each of our desserts were nothing worth discussing ($10 each).

The damage was, before tip, $136. I thought it was steep considering neither of us had alcohol. Despite the steep bill, we each enjoyed our meals and the ambiance. I recommend Martini's as a good place to bring a date.

:Dave

:D

Steakas---The prices seem VERY high to me. Were they that high just for Valentine's Day or is the same menu/prices served year round?

I've read other reviews (hanging on their wall) and most made comment about high prices. I suppose their just a pricy place.

:Dave

:D