• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taking pictures in restaurants

viaChgo

If I bother another patron by doing something reasonable--like taking non-flash photos of my meal at my table at a restaurant--then it's their problem, not mine. Anyone who'd claim to be upset by such activity is completley dismissable. I equate a complaint like that to someone not liking my outfit because the colors are not to their liking. Don't like it? Tough.

If I want to take flash photos at a restaurant, and the request is approved by the restaurant (I would always ask), then the matter of whether it bothers the other patrons is irrelevant to me. If there is an issue, it's between the offended party (or parties) and the establishment.

IMO, this is never a matter for patrons to negotiate amongst themselves. House rules. Don't like them? Eat somewhere else.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

If I were to take photos in a restaurant, I would most likely not use the flash & discreetly take a quick picture before the eating commences. My camera is really small, it fits inside an Altoids tin. So, hopefully, no one around me would even notice. As far as setting up a flash, tripod, etc...that's way more effort that I would want to exert. My purpose for all of this would just be to photograph what I'm eating not to eat what I'm photographing.

I will add that I think it is a different story if one is photographing professionally or even for eGullet. I have asked when my intention was to publish here, even though it is an amateur effort. If I am photographing food for my own personal purposes, I do not believe receiving permission from the restaurant is an issue. I do, however, think it courtesy if the photos are intended for publication of any sort, especially if the subject is in any way identified or identifiable.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

If I bother another patron by doing something reasonable--like taking non-flash photos of my meal at my table at a restaurant--then it's their problem, not mine. Anyone who'd claim to be upset by such activity is completley dismissable. I equate a complaint like that to someone not liking my outfit because the colors are not to their liking. Don't like it? Tough.

If I want to take flash photos at a restaurant, and the request is approved by the restaurant (I would always ask), then the matter of whether it bothers the other patrons is irrelevant to me. If there is an issue, it's between the offended party (or parties) and the establishment.

IMO, this is never a matter for patrons to negotiate amongst themselves. House rules. Don't like them? Eat somewhere else.

=R=

I agree that ultimately - the decision is up to the restaurant. If cameras or cellphone cameras become as popular as plain cell phones - then I think a fair number of restaurants will ban the cameras and the cellphone cameras - just like a fair number of restaurants have banned cell phones. It's a question of what type of atmosphere a particular restaurant would like to maintain (and the decision is entirely up to the restaurant owner). Robyn

I find that taking pictures removes me somewhat from the present moment of enjoying the dining experience, so I don't do it myself.

I've never been bothered by others taking pictures of their food. Then again, the only people I've seen take pictures of their food have been pretty discreet about it. For those of you out there that do take pictures and make an attempt to be discreet, thank you.

EDIT: Tommy, this makes 10. How'd we do?

Edited by josephreese (log)

Joseph

It appears I am the only one of the posters that has any bona fide professional credentials in Photography.

This is not true at all. Did you ever have Frank Zappa kneel and sing "Dinah Moe Hum" to you while photographing him (with your elbows on the stage) in front of an audience of 8000 people? Betcha didn't.

I am a professional photographer, web designer and copywriter. I don't know why that doesn't count as "professional photography" in your mind, but it's how I earn my living. My photographs have appeared in San Francisco magazine and several newspapers up and down the California coast. I specialize in food and travel photography. I think that counts. Or do I have to take a picture of a woman giving to be "bona fide"?

I'm a little waspy and from Seattle to boot. . . I don't like it when people take pictures of the food or anything else. Somehow flashing everone in the restaurant just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe one quick discreet photo. . . still.

If there's no flash then no problem.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"