• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken Soup

andyabramo

I'm sure I heard that somewhere that soups and stocks can be kept in the fridge almost indefinitely as long as you bring them to a boil every three days.

That is what I had heard as well ... but I think at some point, it has to be frozen or pitched out ... :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I'm sure I heard that somewhere that soups and stocks can be kept in the fridge almost indefinitely as long as you bring them to a boil every three days.

That is what I had heard as well ... but I think at some point, it has to be frozen or pitched out ... :rolleyes:

Eventually, you might as well just turn the stuff into glace. Of course, this works only for stocks, not for soups with other stuff in them. I hate the idea of pitching it, and I know that my freezer is stuffed almost beyond closing. But glace takes up so little room, and is so handy.

Both at school (I worked in stewarding) and in restaurants, we did the reboil thing, although not more than once on any batch of stock; it usually was used up before we'd have to do it again.

And to be honest, at home I sometimes keep stocks in the fridge for a week or even longer, with no ill effects. But then, yes, I do reboil them before using them.