• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Women Taste Better

Craig Camp

The "palate" is not only a reflection of the taste buds in the tongue.

The late physicist Richard Feynman felt that men and women were born with identical senses of smell, but women used theirs often, so it was better developed than that of men.

For example, a woman will spend more time holding a child, being in intimate contact with their smell. Thus, a woman can pick up a garment off the floor and sniff it, to see if it has been worn, and if so, who wore it.

He proceded to develop his own sense of smell, to the point where he could smell a number of books and see which one had just been opened and leafed through.

Edited by Katherine (log)

I just finished judging a wine competition in Israel and I tell you there wasn't a single woman in sight - a pitty. I have learned from my wife that the sense of smell is stronger during pregnancy [ I had enough time to think about that whenever was ordered to take another shower as the particular smell of the After Shave or whatever was annoying to her, I ended donating three bottles of some expensive stuff].

Women also seem to have the ability to concentrate more [ Terry and Lyyn Pratchett took this point slightly further in theri book Truckers ] - very important in wine tasting.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.