• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cinch in Santa Monica, CA

FoodZealot

I just attended a series of dinners in Park City called "ChefDance". Chris Behre of Cinch was one of the guest chefs for the event, which was a sit down dinner for 200 people.

His menu included an appetizer of tapenade with sourdough crips, and a baked white crab cake with sweet corn sauce. Entrees included a fillet of NZ John Dory with and soy sesame braised beef shortribs. Dessert was a chocolate pudding with chocolate meringue and poached pears.

This menu is probably delicious at the restaurant, but within the context of the event, didn't come off so well. The entrees came out cold, missing items, or in the case of the short ribs, so dry as to be almost inedible.They were a meatier version of the Korean style cut, and served with a carrot puree that was so heavily spiked with fresh ginger it was overwhelming. Given the chaotic nature of these type of dinners, I can't really fault him. With his own kitchen and waitstaff I'm sure he does a much better job and I'd be willing to take a chance that his food could really shine.

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

I just attended a series of dinners in Park City called "ChefDance".

Monica,

Realizing you have other things to do, how about a boil down on ChefDance for your pals here at your convenience?

Edited by hollywood (log)

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I acutally had a chance to eat there a couple of months ago, right after an aritcle appeared in the LA Times. I'm a real fan of Tetsuya and I wanted to see what chef Behr would do with the influence. I was excited and went on a Monday which may have contributed to my experience. I don't think the chef was there on that night and I had heard from fellow cooks that Cinch had to release many of there cooks for lesser experienced one due to the lack of business initially.

My dinner:

Sushi was not available that night.

1st Course: Mushroom soup with shitake

Entree: Grilled Trout with Chorizo and Fennel (I think).

I can't remember what dessert I had. It was a while ago.

I was somewhat disappointed with the meal. I don't know if it was the "I don't have time for you" look I receieved from the manager, the lack of a skilled and experienced kitchen, or the fact that the chef wasn't there that evening, but I was not impressed. I sincerely hope the food and service have improved. If anyone had a more recent experience, please let us know as I would love to give it a try again.

Robert

I went to Cinch for drinks a couple nights ago and sat on the couches. Ordered dessert. The lemon creme. It was good, but I think it was only 2 bites with a dollop of lemon sorbet on the side. We ordered a bottle of dessert wine and while was waitress/hostess was sweet and pretty, she was a little clueless. They did not open the wine in front of us but brought us our glasses, their reasoning being that they could keep the bottle in a cooler behind the bar. But they could have asked us which we would prefer, or opened the bottle in front of us and then take the wine back to the bar. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky. I thought if we bought a bottle in the restaurant they are supposed open in front of you. Unless it has to be decanted? But this was a simple bottle of muscat.