• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

which seems a difficult trick for a pot and a leg

My father was not a blacksmith but he had a forge and he used to make all his own horseshoes and shoe all his horses. As a kid, I used to love to watch the town blacksmith and was always amazed at the things that he could make and the repairs that he could do.

My first husband was in iron worker and he taught me a little bit about acetylene welding. Not easy and not my favorite thing to do but it gave me an extra appreciation of the people that could do it. I never underestimate what a good blacksmith can do. Unfortunately it's a skill that is almost nonexistent today.

Sorry, I misspoke. What we were actually doing was arc welding. We spent one whole winter building a horse trailer. Never again touched a welding machine. Never wanted to.

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

which seems a difficult trick for a pot and a leg

My father was not a blacksmith but he had a forge and he used to make all his own horseshoes and shoe all his horses. As a kid, I used to love to watch the town blacksmith and was always amazed at the things that he could make and the repairs that he could do.

My first husband was in iron worker and he taught me a little bit about acetylene welding. Not easy and not my favorite thing to do but it gave me an extra appreciation of the people that could do it. I never underestimate what a good blacksmith can do. Unfortunately it's a skill that is almost nonexistent today.