• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

haresfur

haresfur

addition

12 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

if you find one with feet, it's a very early model 

I don't think this is true at all. It is common to find ones with feet in camping stores. I have seen them in both the US and Australia.

btw, I was being flippant with my earlier comment as to if cooking in a Dutch oven was roasting or baking. I see people using them for both and for braising.

I was on a very cold geology field trip in uni where one of the other students rummaged in the supplied for a huge can of peaches and the pancake mix to bake up a Dutch oven cobbler over the coals of our fire. Yes, he was a boy scout. 

eta: I have also seen aluminium ones for people who want to travel light. Horse packing maybe.

haresfur

haresfur

11 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

if you find one with feet, it's a very early model 

I don't think this is true at all. It is common to find ones with feet in camping stores. I have seen them in both the US and Australia.

btw, I was being flippant with my earlier comment as to if cooking in a Dutch oven was roasting or baking. I see people using them for both and for braising.

I was on a very cold geology field trip in uni where one of the other students rummaged in the supplied for a huge can of peaches and the pancake mix to bake up a Dutch oven cobbler over the coals of our fire. Yes, he was a boy scout.