• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Really Good Houston/Dallas Restaurants?

robyn

Houston has plenty of options for the fine diner. If staying close to Downtown is important I would say that you should give Zula a try. Last time I was there I had a veal chop in a fois gras sauce and it was very good. The steak with a side order of oysters is a good option as well. The place has very cool decor and the service is also good. The owner of zula also owns two very nice bars (mercury room and bokka) not far from here, you should see if they will let you in for no cover.

Someone mentioned the Icon hotel and I would add that the restaurant there is part of the jean George V. empire out of NY I believe.

Why not give Ninfa's on Navigatiopn a try. Its the only Ninfa's you should go to. The margaritas are potent and the carnitas are first rate.

Not downtown but close:

Aldo's on Westheimer is sure to give a culinary experience that rivals just about anywhere else. The chef/owner really focuses on exotic cuts of meat but the fish dishes are also very good. This place is an all night type of journey, you will not be rushed at all. The owner will not only cook your meal but there is a good chance he will take your order and help with wine selections.

Rouge on Westheimer is a french restaurant that has been recieving huge accolades from the local food writers.

De Marco on Westheimer is a high end Italian place with exquisite food. You are sure to get braised short ribs at this time of year and the pasta with the truffled quail egg is the height of culinary artistry.

Here are some threads that will help you Robyn:

Dallas restaurants

Houston Eats

Houston Fine Dining

My picks for fine dining would include

Mark’s- It really is not that noisy especially if you request a table on the second level. Top notch service and excellent food. The place is also very romantic set up in an old church.

Rouge—very good contemporary French food

Hugo’s for upscale Mexican

Damian’s for great Italian

Aries—Great fine food but casual service (see my review in one of the threads above)

Boulevard Bistrot—A little like Chez Panisse. I believe the chef already closed it and opened up T’afia near downtown earlier this month which should be more Mediterranean.

Zula in downtown is also excellent

This is just to name a few, Houston DOES have great fine dining as does Dallas. Welcome to our town and I hope you enjoy your stay.

To answer one of your earlier questions, I do not believe Bank has opened yet, but I could be wrong.

I saw a couple of mentions for La Colombe D’or, which is a VERY nice hotel with only six suites and a restaurant where you get great service but IMHO the food is not very interesting. Good but, a little too old.

Another place that I think is overrated –I know I will be stoned for saying this, especially by Fifi- is Brennan’s. I just did not enjoy the food that much. It did not even compare to the NO establishments.

Café Annie also has good food but can be noisy and is overhyped and expensive for what it is. If I'm paying I would not go there.

Elie

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

We'd be particularly interested in really good hotel restaurants - or restaurants within a reasonable cab ride of good hotels  

I travel to Houston 4-5 times a year on business and stay at either the Four Seasons or La Columbe d'Or. Although it's been awhile since I have had dinner in either hotel, on past occasions both have been very good. Regarding non-hotel restaurants, I recently ate at Aries and would definately recommend it. Mark's and Cafe Annie are 2 other favorites.

If you know - is the current Four Seasons the same Four Seasons that was there in the mid-80's? Robyn

Just adding to say that the new METRO light rail runs between downtown and the museum district, so staying downtown and still being able to get to the museums should not be an issue.

That presumes that it can make the trip without wrecking yet another car. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

(Sorry... Inside Houston joke. It did smash another car today.)

That "inside joke" became a national joke when the New York Times ran an article about the rail system a few weeks ago :raz: . Robyn

Based upon location and the nature of your trip, I would book La Columbe d'Or. A small...

Thank you for the suggestion. I took a look at the web site. Looks nice - but it is *really* small. I tend to prefer a larger more business oriented hotel where I can throw my towels all over the bathroom floor with abandon and yell at someone if the high speed internet access doesn't work. Robyn

you'll miss out on one of the best Houston experiences if you skip Columbe d'Or. It's exquisitely appointed, and so securely in the center of town, you can't be more than 20 mins from some fine dining and cultural events. It is also close to the Montrose, but you've probably already missed "Living in Leather" weekend, so some cultural events could be supplanted by a trip to Churrasco's or Adkin's Architectural antiques. One is a restaurant, the other is as the name suggests, and located downtown, I think on Fannin.

We'd be particularly interested in really good hotel restaurants - or restaurants within a reasonable cab ride of good hotels  

I travel to Houston 4-5 times a year on business and stay at either the Four Seasons or La Columbe d'Or. Although it's been awhile since I have had dinner in either hotel, on past occasions both have been very good. Regarding non-hotel restaurants, I recently ate at Aries and would definately recommend it. Mark's and Cafe Annie are 2 other favorites.

If you know - is the current Four Seasons the same Four Seasons that was there in the mid-80's? Robyn

I don't know. I've only been traveling to Houston since the mid-90s. The one I stay at is at 1300 Lamar. Maybe one of the longer term Houston residents can respond to this. Alternatively, you can inquire by phone at 713-650-1300.

The Four Seasons does have a lot to offer. Heck, I met Simon Le Bon there a few years ago (sorry, Mr. Le Bon, it was the ex stalking you; aunque no soy yo).

If you must go swank, though, the Rainbow Lodge is really the solamente shiznitt. And it is a pity: Anyone with enough squilla to travel here for the Superbowl is prima facie too rich to go to any but the most expensive restaurants. And I do hold to my opinion that swankiendas are more uniform in their tastes and offerings than any franchise.

Guess we're just another town with a sparkly new stadium.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

I am remiss. How could I forget about Rainbow Lodge? This is one of my favorite places in Houston. Years ago, my first trip there, I was reading the history of the place on the menu. To my great surprise, it was originally the home of my beloved pediatrician, Dr. Collier.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The Four Seasons does have a lot to offer. Heck, I met Simon Le Bon there a few years ago (sorry, Mr. Le Bon, it was the ex stalking you; aunque no soy yo).

If you must go swank, though, the Rainbow Lodge is really the solamente shiznitt.  And it is a pity: Anyone with enough squilla to travel here for the Superbowl is prima facie too rich to go to any but the most expensive restaurants. And I do hold to my opinion that  swankiendas are more uniform in their tastes and offerings than any franchise.

Guess we're just another town with a sparkly new stadium.

Perhaps "swankiendas" are uniform. I wouldn't know (we really don't have much where I live - and what we have is usually a couple of years late in terms of any major trends). I'll tell you how backwards this place is. Last year - the fashion magazines were full of mini skirts. I wanted one. I went to every department store here and couldn't find one. I thought perhaps the magazines were lying - but when I went to south Florida - the stores were full of them.

By the way - just curious - what ethnicity are you (you have a colorful way with Spanish - reminds me of the "Spanglish" you find a lot in Florida :smile: ). Robyn

In any event, whatever your choice is, you'll do better than Jax (I go there a lot also). Nice town, nice people, mediocre (I'm being gracious) restaurants.

I don't disagree. There was an article in today's Florida Times Union about restaurant suggestions for next year's Super Bowl Fans. What a joke. But next time you're in this neck of the woods - give a holler and I'll try to give you some decent ideas (from my very limited inventory of decent ideas). Robyn