• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pin Bone Roast

Mottmott

When I was a kid, my father would roast this humongous cut of meat he called a pin bone roast so that it came out pink and juicy throughout. Well, it was brown around the edges. I think he cooked it relatively slowly. Then it was served thinly sliced and made magnificent roast beef sandwiches.

What would we call this cut now? Is my recollection of how to cook it correct?

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

The pin bone is part of the loin -- I'm guessing it was some sort of a bone-in sirloin roast?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Maybe it's because I was so small at the time, but it looked WAY bigger than a loin would probably be - even if you used the whole loin.

Maybe the whole sirloin? I don't think it was rump or round. I don't oven roast those cuts as I've not found them tender enough when I tried long ago. Would they come out tender if slow roasted? Besides, I think we called them rump and round.

edited to add the crucial "not"

Edited by Mottmott (log)

I'd have to guess the whole sirloin, or a good part thereof. They used to cut sirloin steaks with the pin bone in so it would seem to make sense.

You are correct that rump or round wouldn't have been that tender, and were usually referred to by those names.

Thanks Jake.

Have you ever cooked one? Temperature? Time? I usually do rib roasts relatively fast, relatively high, very rare, which I'm sure won't do for sirloin.

I might try a pinbone roast for the next family dinner. I'm sure I'd have to order it because I only see sirloin in pieces.

Haven't cooked one. I, too, usually stick to rib. I'd suggest seasoning and searing and then roasting slowly, say a 325 degree oven to rare or medium rare depending on your taste.

I did a search to see if I could come up with anything, i.e. is there a different name for it these days to no avail. Could be my searching techniques :rolleyes:

Please post if you get any further information when ordering from your butcher.