• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants for Salads

bbqbrisket

I don't know about making a meal of it, but the Frisée Salad at Latour in Ridgewood rivals any I have had in France; not only is the presentation gorgeous, but the taste and texture of it are exquisite. When you have finished this salad, you are actually sad that it's over!!

Have you ever tried the Spicy Beef Salad or Duck Salad at Wondee's? Many Thai restaurants have these types of salads, called "yum," that you can have as your main course.

I also like Vietnamese salads, especially Bun, which is a noodle salad with veggies and your choice of grilled meat. My current fave is Saigon Republic in Englewood, but when Little Saigon in Nutley rebuilds (they burned down a little while ago) be sure to check them out too.

Diners usually have decent salads, where else are you gonna go to for a huge chef's salad?

There is a very casual cafe in Wyckoff called Cafe Amici. They have at least 10 salads on the menu to choose from - all made with very fresh ingredients. They are all priced in the $8.00 to $12.00 range and are large. I usually have some wrapped to take home with me after ordering one for a meal.

I haven't been there in quite a while, but Soho 33 in Madison had some delicious salads...not sure you can make a meal of one, but you certainly could if you tried two! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

About two weeks ago, we went to Chelsea Grill (Bloomfield Ave, Montclair) for dinner. They had an option of adding grilled chicken or shrimp to their first course salads. Grilled tuna may have been a third choice - can't remember. The salads are nice with arugula or field greens, with goat cheese or bleu cheese, honeyed walnuts, berries, etc.

Unfortunately, they don't have a website. I have to rely on my faltering memory.

Marie

NJDuchess

Diners usually have decent salads, where else are you gonna go to for a huge chef's salad?

My experience in diners is Iceberg lettuce and ice-cold tomatoes, both big no-nos as far as my criteria for decent salads go. Any specific diners where they don't use these?

The Tick Tock in Clifton, for one...they do a few different salads, some which are standard iceberg (for their chef salad, I think), but they also have one called Gourmet Blend that has tons of walnuts and blue cheese (you can also add grilled chicken) that's huge and always tasty!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Now, THIS could be an interesting thread (if you haven't already done this)...a critique of DINERS! I say this b/c at the mention of the Park West, my first thought was that each time I've been there, I always think everything sounds delicious, and then I'm disappointed--salads included.

Rosie---is this territory you've covered?

I don't know about making a meal of it, but the Frisée Salad at Latour in Ridgewood rivals any I have had in France; not only is the presentation gorgeous, but the taste and texture of it are exquisite. When you have finished this salad, you are actually sad that it's over!!

My wife and I had lunch at LaTour yesterday. It was an excellent bargain. She had french onion soup and the frisee salad, which was outstanding. I had escargots (good) and a veal citron with grapefruit sauce (outstanding). The bill with tax and tip came to $36.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz