• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoking Fruits

cbarre02

I have smoked figs many times, pineapple a couple of times, also peaches.

I've made smoked quince jam by adding Lapsang Souchong tea to jam that was too sweet and I see no reason by smoking the fruit itself (after some pre-cooking) would not work.

I found this recipe for smoked pears about a year ago and stuck it in my "to try" file. Haven't yet.

A local restaurant occasionally offers smoked apple pie. They smoke the entire pie and it is terrific with sharp cheddar.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Smoked peaches sound good to me.

That is what I did. Whenever the smoker is going I throw everything at it that I have on hand. Peppers, fruits etc. The peppers are awesome, but the peach was great with pork shoulder. Squash was pretty interesting too.

I noticed my neighbor has a smoker going and asked what was in there and was told they are smoking some pumpkins, also the seeds, some jalapeño and poblano peppers and some goat meat for jerky.

The pumpkins were the Mexican pumpkins, cut into wedges and hung on a cord to smoke.

I asked about fruits and they smoke mango and papaya that goes into a mole sauce.

That type of pumpkin is dark red-orange (like one of the dark "yams") and they have promised to give me a wedge to play with. She plans on candying it (Calabaza en Tacha) for a Fiestas de Muertos party on Nov. 1 and 2.

P.S. I think that it is funny that this year the Day of the Dead falls on election day!

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This is from 2 or 3 years ago but it fits the discussion. The sliceable curd is made from smoked oranges. I cut the oranges in half before smoking and the juice and zest picked up a nice light smoke flavor. The rest is caramel popcorn with orange zest and chipotle, cornmeal shortbread, an orange fluid gel and some of the smoked orange zest that was soaked in syrup.

gallery_53467_5170_12308.jpg

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.