• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another probable trip

Marlene

Hubby will be in Stamford CT the week of January 26. Likely, I'll fly to NY on the Friday morning, and he'll join me in NY later that day/evening. We'll spend the weekend in NY. I'd be up for a lunch on the Friday which I think is the 30th if anyone else is interested. Flight/hotel has yet to be confirmed. but assume I will arrive early morning.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

There's a pretty good chance I'd be free on a Friday for lunch. If you like, post or PM me on what place or price range or/and location you have in mind for the meal.

Michael aka "Pan"

There's a pretty good chance I'd be free on a Friday for lunch. If you like, post or PM me on what place or price range or/and location you have in mind for the meal.

Cool! Price point not a real issue. I'm a fan of steak of course :biggrin: , but really, I'll try anything except fish. And no mushrooms. Dinner could be an option once I check with hubby. One of the two nights we are there we really do want to go to Lugers since we haven't been yet.

Marlene

I'm not a big fan of unmarinated, unsauced steak, so Lugar's wouldn't be for me (I've been once and that was fun but enough).

Talk over with your husband what other types of places he'd be interested in. I know and like restaurants that serve a variety of different types of cuisine, and I'm also open to suggestions. I normally wouldn't spend more than $20 or so on lunch, but I might be willing to go up to $40 or more for someplace really special.

Michael aka "Pan"

The Friday in question falls during Restaurant Week, so there are quite a few $20.04pp lunch choices. But you have to make reservations asap -- the tables go quickly.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Pan lets stick with lunch for now. Hubby's schedule tends to be a mite unpredicable especially at this time of year :biggrin: . Pick a spot, and anyone else who wants to join us, join in here!

Marlene

Sure, we could do the restaurant thing. As I said, just about anything except fish :biggrin:

Marlene

If you can get a reservation, I highly recommend you go on OpenTable.com and grab one at Eleven Madison Park. This Danny Meyer-owned restaurant tends to do a particularly nice job during Restaurant Week, with plenty of choices. And it doesn't hurt that it's one of the most fabulous restaurant spaces in the city. A word of warning, though: with Restaurant Week, you really can't screw around. You need to figure out your numbers and grab the table right away, or you won't get to take advantage of this value.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

So what numbers are we talking about? 3? 4? Perhaps 5 (are you coming, Fat Guy?)?

I am credit card-less at the moment, so if a credit card is needed to reserve on open table, someone else will need to do it.

Michael aka "Pan"

I've got lunch plans that day, unfortunately. No credit card is needed for OpenTable reservations, as far as I know.

Pan, make it for 4. Surely we can convince someone else to join you, Suzanne and I!

Flights are confirmed. I'm actually arriving Thursday afternoon. Not sure where we'll be staying yet, but possibilities include the Marriott at Times Square. Drinks Thurs evening could be a possibility too. We'll be leaving Monday morning. So possibly something Sunday afternoon could work as well. Friday night and Sat are for hubby and I :wub:

Marlene

I'd love to go to Amma! No buffet, of course, stuff made to order.

So is that 5? Shall I try for 1 P.M.?

Perfect I think!

Marlene

Done. Reserved for 5 on Friday, January 30 at 1 P.M. under my name.

See you there!

If anyone's schedule changes, please let me know so that I can inform the restaurant.

Michael aka "Pan"

Looking forward to meeting you, Marlene and Pan. Marlene, your chocolate babycakes sounded so good! Marlene, while I don't think there's steak at Amma there is a lovely, lovely lamb chop, if that works for you. And I think you can get a three course tasting menu.

Suzanne, will enjoy seeing you and HWOE again.

I was supposed to go to Amma this week but had a change in schedule so this is really good. I had to tell Suvir that I wasn't coming. So I could let him know that we're coming on the 30th.

The dinner I had there about two weeks ago was easily one of the best meals I have had in as long as I can remember. I have to post my review on the Amma thread.

Edited by dumpling (log)

I'll bring you the recipe. I can't post it here because of copywrite issues :smile:

I hope Suvir is in the house when we go. And really, I've been known to eat things other than steak. :biggrin: Once or twice :unsure:

Marlene