• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Homemade sausage

jsolomon

As a follow up to Meat Grinders I would like some recipes for sausages.

The things I have easy access to are beef and pork and chicken. My inclination would be for beef and/or pork sausage. Cased or not.

Thanks in advance!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I always make sausage from my Nebraska venison supplier. Every few months, I get a shipment and will grind some up for sausage.

I usually add 50% fatty pork, lest it be too dry. For seasoning, I do the *very* California thing of soaking dried cherries in cognac to add to the mix. Seasoning includes juniper berries, and tons of fresh herbs (thyme, sage, parsley).

I don't have an exact recipe but enjoy tweaking them each time.

• 4 weeks later...

I made my first sausages ever last weekend. Italian sausage out of the Zuni Cafe cookbook (worth making, but not too different than other Italian sausage recipes) and a tasty thai chicken sausage - juicy, spicy, mmm mm good.

I "brined" the whole, deskinned chicken legs in fish sauce for a day, then took the meat off the bone, removing the really tough tendons.

I then cut the chicken up into cubes and tossed with 1 Tb. red curry paste. I chilled it almost to frozen, mixed in a handful of chopped mint and cilantro then ground and stuffed them. A day later, I served them with a squeeze of lime, some tamarind ketchup, an asian pear salad and jasmine rice plus a more fresh herbs. They came out great! I was suprised by how juicy they were - chicken sausages can be quite dry. I think the key was the brining.

Next time, I think I'll try a chicken larp version - fish sauce, shallot, lime juice, etc. I'll then poach them and serve warm with rice.

Anyone else have chicken sausage experience? Or better yet, smoking home-made sausages?