• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help needed on Low Carb Indian dishes

deliad

Hello and Happy New Year to all,

I have been a type 2 diabetic for the last 5 years or so. My blood sugars have always been on the higher side even with the medication and portion control.

Came acress Dr. Bernstein's book on the web a couple months ago and learned that carbs were the main culprit.

For about a month now, I have been experimenting with low carb meals. By the good grace of God and knowledge from Dr. Bernstein's book, I have been able to bring down my blood sugar levels to a respectable range and have been able to come off the medication with a go ahead from my physician.

Now the big question is how to sustain this...

I have been primarily a roti/chapati/parontha eater for carbs and with this diet, no more breads now. I dont miss rice that much since I was eating rice only once a week or so. There is no restrictions on veggies (at least most of the ones that I like) and meats. More opportunity for me to have chicken and mutton. The main problem is breads.

In the last 4 weeks, I have experimented with the following as a substitute for regular Atta:

- Besan (chick pea flour)

- Makki ka atta (Yellow Corn flour)

- Kotu ka atta (Buckwheat flour)

- Low carb readymade breads (many are available in US grocery stores now)

I am going to try soyabean flour and a few others (like gluten free flour) in the next few days.

I have also tried mixed besan & buckwheat. Came out very good as missi rotis. Most of results so far have been acceptable.

I would appreciate any knowledge / experience on meal planning or menus from other eGulleteers focussed of primarily low carb Indian dishes.

I remember Monica had started a thread a few weeks ago on some Atkins diet plans but could not find anything further when I searched for it.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

In the last 4 weeks, I have experimented with the following as a substitute for regular Atta:

I am going to try soyabean flour and a few others (like gluten free flour) in the next few days.

I have also tried mixed besan & buckwheat. Came out very good as missi rotis. Most of results so far have been acceptable.

I'm curious.

Have you been monitoring your blood sugar while you've tried these things, and if so, what impact did they have?

Hello and Happy New Year to all,

I have been a type 2 diabetic for the last 5 years or so. My blood sugars have always been on the higher side even with the medication and portion control.

Came acress Dr. Bernstein's book on the web a couple months ago and learned that carbs were the main culprit.

For about a month now, I have been experimenting with low carb meals. By the good grace of God and knowledge from Dr. Bernstein's book, I have been able to bring down my blood sugar levels to a respectable range and have been able to come off the medication with a go ahead from my physician.

Now the big question is how to sustain this...

I have been primarily a roti/chapati/parontha eater for carbs and with this diet, no more breads now. I dont miss rice that much since I was eating rice only once a week or so. There is no restrictions on veggies (at least most of the ones that I like) and meats. More opportunity for me to have chicken and mutton. The main problem is breads.

I would appreciate any knowledge / experience on meal planning or menus from other eGulleteers focussed of primarily low carb Indian dishes.

I remember Monica had started a thread a few weeks ago on some Atkins diet plans but could not find anything further when I searched for it.

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

I can surely help. My hubby has lost 40 pounds and i have lost 20 pounds with low carb Indian meals (His cholestrol also dropped by a whopping 30%)!

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I'm curious.

Have you been monitoring your blood sugar while you've tried these things, and if so, what impact did they have?

Yes, I have been monitoring my blood sugars. In some cases (besan + buckwheat), the effect was acceptable (but I was still taking my medications during that time). In others, it was not (Corn flour).

I have only stopped taking my medication from last week and yes, I am keeping a record of my BS and will post it here once I get into a routine with this diet so that results of any change are visible

Thanks

I can surely help. My hubby has lost 40 pounds and i have lost 20 pounds with low carb Indian meals (His cholestrol also dropped by a whopping 30%)!

My brother has lost 74 pounds. And it has now been 3 months since he lost that... in fact he has lost 5 more pounds since. But now he has no extra pounds to lose. He is happy with his weight and looks like he did when he was 18 and the sports captain of our high school.

His waist has gone from 44 inches to 31.5 inches. Blood cholestrol and blood pressure for which he needed medication are both under control without pills now.

He was born vegetarian and unlike me, is totally vegetarian still.

He eats some Indian chinese food... but for the most part, 99.9 % eats only Indian vegetarian meals.

Atkins... nope.... low carb? Nope. He ate moderate quantities of things he enjoyed. Did not let his greed overtake his bodies minimal nutrition needs...and did daily and sweat inducing exercise.

My father has been diabetic for a very long time. The drugs they gave him for his blood sugar did the damage to his liver that resulted in need for a liver transplant. But while he was maintaining his blood sugar through diet and excercise, which he did for close to a decade, he ate Indian vegetarian food and again, hardly worried about low carb, but ate no rice, but moderate amounts of all things he enjoyed. He lost the discipline he had shown for a little over a decade, had to start taking pills to control blood sugar, then came the insulin shots...and then liver failure.

In retrospect, he wishes he had kept himself going with the discipline of eating moderate amounts of all things other than rice that he enjoyed and his regiment of exercise. He may have had different issues to deal with today.

My brother on the other hand has shown tremendous discipline and gallant weight loss efforts and seems to have done it just by reaching a great balance between diet and a strictly followed exercise regiment.

My father has been diabetic for a very long time. The drugs they gave him for his blood sugar did the damage to his liver that resulted in need for a liver transplant. But while he was maintaining his blood sugar through diet and excercise, which he did for close to a decade, he ate Indian vegetarian food and again, hardly worried about low carb, but ate no rice, but moderate amounts of all things he enjoyed. He lost the discipline he had shown for a little over a decade, had to start taking pills to control blood sugar, then came the insulin shots...and then liver failure.

In retrospect, he wishes he had kept himself going with the discipline of eating moderate amounts of all things other than rice that he enjoyed and his regiment of exercise. He may have had different issues to deal with today.

My brother on the other hand has shown tremendous discipline and gallant weight loss efforts and seems to have done it just by reaching a great balance between diet and a strictly followed exercise regiment.

Suvir,

It is always good to hear these success stories. What I am gathering however is that your brother did not any blood sugar issues, so controlling carb was not needed. In your father's case it was probably required.

However, for diabetics it is the main problem. Loosing weight and controlling blood sugars are 2 very different things. Some diabetics may be able to shed the excess pounds by controlled carb intake but I consider that as an added bonus. The priority is to bring blood sugars under control.

I have been convinced of this theory after reading Dr. Bernstein's book. You may visit his website at http://www.diabetes-book.com/

Cheers,

CONQUEST OF DIABETES BY DIET AND EXERCISE

by Dr. H.B. Chandalia and Ms. Sonal Modi

Is one of the best book on diet planning for Indians with diabetes. Dr Chandalia is one of the acknowledged expert in the field of diabetes in India. He has a clinic in Mumbai where they advise on diet. The book also gives substitutes for many commonly consumed foods.

You can find lot of information here

http://www.diabetes-india.com/template.php...html&title=Home

http://www.diabetes.org.in/

You are very correct. For my father, when he was trying to work on his blood sugar, through diet, it was not about losing weight, but to avoid having to take pills for blood sugar. He did that successfully for a long time. It was through a regiment that was in equal part about diet and daily exercise. His were the days of no popular diet plans, but still having to worry about having a plan. He did very well, until that one moment when he gave up on exercise and diet, and then had to start taking pills and later insulin.

You are smart to give your attention to diet. I shall look at the link you share. Thanks for posting it.

Monica,

Please do not forget to help...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

• Similar Content

• By liuzhou
      This almost had me in tears of nostalgia. My London home is a few minutes walk from here and I love the place. So glad to hear it seems to be being protected from developers, as I had heard it was under threat.   Wonderful food, too. Mostly vegetarian, which I'm decidedly not, but will happily eat from time to time.   London's most authentic Indian food?    

• By Sheel
      Prawn Balchao is a very famous Goan pickle that has a sweet, spicy and tangy flavor to it. 
      For the balchao paste you will need:
      > 8-10 kashmiri red chillies
      > 4-5 Byadagi red chillies
      > 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
      > 1/2 tsk turmeric powder 
      > 1 tsp peppercorn
      > 6 garlic cloves
      > 1/2 tsp cloves
      > 1 inch cinnamon stick
      > Vinegar 
      First you will need to marinate about 250 grams of prawns in some turmeric powder and salt. After 15 minutes deep fry them in oil till them become golden n crisp. Set them aside and add tsp vinegar to them and let it sit for 1 hour. Now, make a paste of all the ingredients mentioned under the balchao paste and make sure not to add any water. In the same pan used for fryin the prawns, add in some chopped garlic and ginger. Lightly fry them and immediately add one whole chopped onion. Next, add the balchao paste amd let it cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the prawns and cook until the gravy thickens. Finally add 1 tsp sugar and salt according to your taste. Allow it to cool. This can be stored in a glass jar. Let this mature for 1-3 weeks before its use. Make sure never to use water at any stage. This can be enjoyed with a simple lentil curry and rice.
    • By Deeps
      This is one of my daughter favorite dishes, being mild and less spicy she loves this rice dish.  Its super easy to make and goes well with most Indian curries.
      Do try this out and I am sure you will be happy with the results.

Prep Time : 5 mins
      Cook Time: 5 mins
      Serves: 2

Ingredients:
      1 cup rice(basmati), cooked
      1/2 cup coconut, shredded or grated
      1 green chili, slit
      1 dried red chili
      1 1/2 tablespoon oil/ghee(clarified butter)
      1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
      1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
      1/2 tablespoon chana dal(split chickpeas)
      1/2 tablespoon urad dal(split black gram)
      1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
      A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
      Few curry leaves
      Salt to taste

Directions
      1) Heat oil/ghee(clarified butter) in a pan in medium flame. I used coconut oil here because it tastes best for this dish.
      2) Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal(split chickpeas), urad dal(split black gram), green chili, dried red chili, ginger and curry leaves. Fry this for 30 seconds in medium flame. The trick is to ensure that these are fried but not burned.
      3) Add a pinch of hing(asafoetida) and mix well.
      4) Now add the cooked rice and coconut. Stir well for about 15 to 20 seconds and switch off the flame.
      5) Finally add salt into this and mix well. You could add peanuts or cashew nuts if you prefer. Goes well with most curries.
    • By loki
      Sour Tomatillo Achar

Made this one up from a recipe for lemons. It really works for tomatilloes. A unique spice mix, and really sour for a 'different' type of pickle, or achar. It is based on a Marwari recipe - from the arid north-western part of India. Tomatilloes are not used in India (or at least not much) but are quite productive plants in my garden while lemons or other sour fruits are not possible to grow here. No vinegar or lemon juice is used, because tomatilloes are very acidic and don't need any extra.

Ingredients
      3 lbs tomatilloes husks removed and quartered
      1/4 cup salt
      1 Tbs black mustard seeds
      2 star anise buds
      10 dried chilies (I used very hot yellow peppers)
      1 tsp fenugreek seeds
      2 inch ginger (ground to a paste)
      2 TBL dark brown sugar
      1/2 cup sugar

1. In a large bowl, put the tomatilloes and sprinkle salt over them. Cover it and leave for a day, mixing occasionally.

2. Next day drain the tomatilloes.

3. Dry roast the star anise (put in first as these take longer, the black mustard, and the chilie pods (add last and barely brown in places). Cool.

4. Grind the roasted spices with the fenugreek and put aside.

5. Add tomatilloes, ginger, sugars, and everything else to a large pan and heat to boiling.

6. Cook till fully hot and boiling.

7. Fill half-pint jars and seal.
    • By loki
      Sweet Eggplant Pickle

This is an Indian pickle, some would call a chutney, that I made up from several sources and my own tastes. It is based it on my favorite sweet brinjal (eggplant here in the US) pickle available commercially. It has onion and garlic, which are often omitted in some recipes due to dietary restrictions of some religious orders. It also has dates which I added on my own based on another pickle I love. I also used olive oil as mustard oil is not available and I like it's taste in these pickles. Use other oils if you like. This has more spices than the commercial type - and I think it's superior. I avoided black mustard seed, fenugreek, and cumin because almost all other pickles use these and they start to taste the same. One recipe from Andhra Pradesh used neither and I followed it a little. It's wonderful with all sorts of Indian foods - and also used for many other dishes, especially appetizers.
      SPICE MIX (Masala)
      4 Tbs coriander seeds
      3 hot chilies (I used a very hot Habanero type, so use more if you use others)
      18 cardamom pods
      2 inches cinnamon
      24 cloves
      1 1/2 Tbs peppercorns
      MAIN INGREDIENTS
      1 cups olive oil
      4 inches fresh ginger, minced fine, about 1/2 cup
      6 cloves garlic, minced
      1 large onion finely chopped
      3 lb eggplant, diced, 1/4 inch cubes
      1/2 lb chopped dates
      1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
      2 cups rice vinegar (4.3 percent acidity or more)
      2 cups brown sugar
      2 Tbs salt
      2 tsp citric acid
      Spice Mix (Masala)

1. Dry roast half the coriander seeds in a pan till they begin to brown slightly and become fragrant - do not burn. Cool.

2. Put roasted and raw coriander seeds and all the other spices in a spice mill and grind till quite fine, or use a mortar and pestle. Put aside.

Main Pickle

1. Heat half the oil and fry ginger till slightly browned, slowly.

2. Add garlic, onion, and half the salt and fry slowly till these begin to brown a bit too.

3. Add eggplant, turmeric, and spice mix (Masala) and combine well. Fry for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Add rest of ingredients, including rest of the salt and olive oil and heat slowly to a boil.

5. Boil for about 5 minutes. Add a little water if too thick - it should be nearly covered with liquid, but not quite - it will thin upon cooking so wait to add the water till heated through.

6. Bottle in sterilized jars and seal according to your local pickling instructions. This recipe will be sufficiently acidic.