• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

California Christmas Cassoulet

Carolyn Tillie

I'm sure Paula and John are right -- more important than pot absorption characteristics are the quality of the ingredients (the beans especially) and the cook's care and patience in making this dish.

Nonetheless, I can attest that those Le Creuset "Dutch Ovens" (I have large versions, both round and oval) have different cooking characteristics to similar earthenware vessels. The cast iron pots retain more liquid in stews, and the heat is less even -- both on the stovetop and in the oven. Perhaps the difference in liquid retention is because the terra cotta lids fit less tightly than those on the cast iron vessels, in which case a cassoulet, cooked without a lid, wouldn't be that different.

In any case, if you're going so far as to make real cassoulet, why not take the final step and cook it in a heavy earthenware container?

Edited by Jonathan Day (log)

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

In any case, if you're going so far as to make real cassoulet, why not take the final step and cook it in a heavy earthenware container?

I agree with that. I guess I will have to go digging and find that bowl. It is a really heavy pottery bowl that I used to use to mix and raise bread dough. I am going to try this and I might even stir it seven times. :biggrin: After all of that, why not. Let's see... If I start now, I could be eating cassoulet in... um... February? :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

If you're going that route and can't pop over to the Nots, I really recommend the large ceramic mixing bowl I mentioned earlier. It's almost exactly the proportions of a cassole (i.e. proportions of height/width at top/width at bottom) and it's one of the most easily obtainable of kitchen tools.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

It is a really heavy pottery bowl that I used to use to mix and raise bread dough.
A big bread mixing bowl should be fine, providing it fits in your oven.
Let's see... If I start now, I could be eating cassoulet in... um... February? :laugh:
You should still make January, providing you can find the bowl in time. Charles and Lindsey Shere's classic cassoulet recipe in the _Open Hand Celebration Cookbook_ takes a week, beginning with making the stock and the confit. (But Paula, I remember that you once told me that confit hasn't really reached maturity until it's six months old!)

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

my son told me "wine, confit and women are better with age."

For cassoulet, I think it will be ok to use a young confit.

Edited by Wolfert (log)

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

(But Paula, I remember that you once told me that confit hasn't really reached maturity until it's six months old!)

Uh oh. My, those mallards waddling around under my balconey are starting to look pretty tasty. :biggrin:

(OT... John, I got my nickname many years ago from a crusty old fart lab tech where I worked. He gave all the "girls" nicknames. I have been "fifi" ever since. At least I didn't get stuck with "Boom Boom". :laugh: )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

fifi: my son was referring to jarred or preserved confit.

I was going to make the confit like in your book. Does that have to age in the fridge for some time?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Was it at the Oldways conference in London?
Yes indeed.
Glad to see you have come around to seeing it my way. At the time, I had the feeling you were a little leery of my adoration of 6 month old confit.
I wasn't leery, just surprised. I hadn't thought about it.
Or was it spending all that time in the region of the Nots that convinced you?
My own advancing age gives me a reverence for all things ancient. :biggrin:

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

At least I didn't get stuck with "Boom Boom". :laugh: )

Funny... THAT was a nick-name given to ME by New Age author Don Michael Kraig about ten years ago when we were writing and editing a Pagan-based newsletter together. Right before going to print, he changed my editorial name as Carolyn "Boom-Boom" Tillie...

It kinda stuck.