• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: eGullet Pasta Feast

Varmint

Varmint - any specific time (or even a general idea) when things will start so we can have more of an idea of when we should get there?

I'm also shooting for 1/3 servings all around --sound about right?

We'll start nibbling around 7, but I expect folks to get there as early as 4 or 5, depending on how much time they'll need in the preparation of their respective dishes. We won't start the formal process of eating until around 8 or so.

We'll have about 18 or 19 people. I'd think if you made enough for 6 or 7, you'd be just fine.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Americano

1 ounce Campari

1 ounce Red Sweet Vermouth

Combine in an old fashioned glass (9 ounce solo cup??? will do as well for the sake of ease!) and garnish with a twist of both lemon and orange.

I think you forgot to include that you put the Campari and sweet vermouth on ice and top with soda water?

regards,

trillium

:rolleyes: Long day (look at the early morning hour I posted that -- it was 2:15 a.m. EST!)

And as a matter of fact that was the recipe I skimmed over thinking I missed or forgot something, hence the edit notation on the bottom of the post.

Yes, top with soda which is to take the place of the gin and is a "lighter," refreshing variation of the Negroni.

Have a fabulous evening Pasta Feast goers! :cool:

edit: I noted trillium's quotation of my post was different and three hours behind -- West Coast... !

Edited by beans (log)

Aperitifs?

Hmmm. Make scottie make these. She's good at it, that I am very sure of!

Uh-oh! I'm being put on the spot!

I must say that I have had zero Campari experience.

But that POM/Prosecco stuff sounds delicious!

Beans, how I wish you were going to join us! "Wee emmers"- haven't heard that in a while! :cool:

We had a test run on the pasta last night; I'm thinking it won't take too much time. We might shoot for 5:30 or 6.

Varmint, if you all are going to be making pasta earlier than that, could you please set aside some for my dish? It seems to work pretty well with a thick-ish, coarse semolina noodle.

Otherwise, just let me know if I need to bring some.

We're all sleeping over, too, right? :biggrin:

see you all tomorrow- can't wait!

Varmint, if you all are going to be making pasta earlier than that, could you please set aside some for my dish? It seems to work pretty well with a thick-ish, coarse semolina noodle.

Otherwise, just let me know if I need to bring some.

Will do!

The L'il Varmints will be occupying the beds, but there's floor space!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

This looks like the final menu:

Bagna cauda

Salumi

Pasta with EVOO, Broccoli Rabe, Asiago, pancetta and Toasted Pine Nuts

Spaghetti with calamari, chiles and bottarga

Beef Cheek Ravioli in Brodo

Tagliatelle with truffle and porcini

Duck Ragout w/ Toasted Penne

Grapefruit sections with honey

Pink grapefruit-rosemary sorbet

Cornmeal-nut biscotti

It's a pretty well rounded menu, altough we have neither a baked pasta nor a cheese pasta. Maybe next time!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Guys....we're waiting for pictures here!!!

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Let me put it this way, I sat down to take a brief nap just before dessert and didn't wake up until 3:30. I'm still at my in-laws -- Mrs. Varmint and the L'il Varmints are at my house.

It was a great evening. Photos will be posted when I can re-attach my head.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Sorry, y'all, but I won't be able to put up photos until tonight at the earliest. I have too much to do today. Bummer.

Everything was great. The grilled octopus, the salumi, all the pastas (including phlawless' consummate consumme), but not the dessert. The dessert sucked. Well, actually, I'm sure the dessert was awesome, but I was asleep in the living room and missed the dessert, which sucked.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I was asleep in the living room and missed the dessert, which sucked.

Are there any action shots of you with that lampshade on your head? :wink:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

...but I was asleep in the living room and missed the dessert, which sucked.

What does Emily Post have to say about hosts passing out during meals?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Good Morning.

:rolleyes:

If you ever wonder why people for the most part don't post about the events until late the next day, just go to one. So much food...so much great food...it's hard to even move much less form coherent thought.

It's pretty amazing the number of things I tried for the first time last night. With the exception of bottarga, and beef cheeks, not so much the ingredients, but the dishes themselves. I would 'order' them all again, so I wonder if everyone could post the recipes to what they made? Or if it's a copyrighted recipe, a link or reference to it?

Essentially this is what I made, just substitute toasted penne in place of the garganelli:

Garganelli with Duck Ragu

The toasted penne is easy enough, just place uncooked dried penne on a sheet pan in a 400° oven for about 5 to 6 minutes until it just starts to brown. Cool, and then cook in boiling water as usual.

Thanks again to everybody for the food and company, and especially to Dean and his in-laws for hosting --20 people preparing 6 courses is definitely a study in controlled chaos. I think Dean could tell I was 'impressed'; he turned to me at one point and said, "You don't host a lot of dinner parties do you?"

Well, here are some pictures. Unfortunately, we don't have any shots of dessert, as no one bothered to get a picture after the photographer passed out.

i2833.jpg

edemuth is ready to attack some grapefruit.

i2837.jpg

phlawless letting the world know not to mess with her (beef) cheeks.

i2839.jpg

Mr. and Mrs. Random Alias.

i2840.jpg

Scottie deglazing the pan with the double magnum Bill Klapp brought.

i2843.jpg

Some wine. Well, this is the stuff that just I drank. :wacko:

i2828.jpg

Phlawless' bagna cauda.

i2835.jpg

Phlawless' grilled marinated baby octopus. This was kick ass!

i2830.jpg

Scottie's rhombi with EVOO, broccoli rabe, pine nuts, pancetta, and aged asiago.

i2831.jpg

Close up of Scottie's dish.

i2841.jpg

My spaghetti with calamari, roasted and dried tomato, chilis and bottarga.

i2829.jpg

Phlawless' beef cheek ravioli in beef consomme.

i2838.jpg

Weka's fettucini with porcini and black truffle.

i2832.jpg

Random Alias' toasted penne with duck ragout.

i2834.jpg

Bill Klapp telling everyone what he really thinks.

i2836.jpg

Phlawless' wine glass was growing something.

i2844.jpg

Mr. and Mrs. Weka with Mr. & Mrs. Random Alias.

Fun was had by all. I'm worn out. And I still didn't get that dessert. :sad:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Hey everyone, I just have to say Thank you!!! Hen and I had such a blast!!

Thanks to Bill Klapp for the gi-normous double magnum of excellent barbera!

Thanks to Dean's in-laws for granting the use and abuse of their space!

Thanks to everyone who showed up and ate and pitched in and contributed to a fabulous evening. Next year: Alba!!!

here is my recipe; I must say that I was helped out tremendously by Dean. While he was still conscious, that is!

pleasantly full, scottie