• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A World of Flavors

Fat Guy

Carolyn Tillie reports from the trenches at the Sixth Annual World of Flavors Conference . . .

+++

Be sure to check The Daily Gullet home page daily for new articles (most every weekday), hot topics, site announcements, and more.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Thank you, Carolyn, for this mouth-watering report. I had sympathy for your poor feet for all that standing in line, but what an overwhelming culinary experience.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Thank you, Carolyn, for this mouth-watering report. I had sympathy for your poor feet for all that standing in line, but what an overwhelming culinary experience.

Gosh, now that I think about it, I believe I was walking on clouds for these three days so my feet didn't hurt a bit!

congratulations, "food writer Carolyn Tille." I like the way that sounds! Your piece on the world of flavors conference is a terrific read.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

congratulations, "food writer Carolyn Tille." I like the way that sounds! Your piece on the world of flavors conference is a terrific read.

Praise indeed from She Who Inspires me. :wub:

It couldn't have happened without you...

The best part of all this is that when Carolyn got her eGullet press pass for the event she gave my address as the eGullet "Worldwide Editorial Headquarters." So now I'm getting cool stuff addressed to Carolyn at my apartment every day. Usually it's just glossy advertising literature, but I just got some fancy looking pomegranate juice in a big cardboard tube. And I'm not sharing.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The best part of all this is that when Carolyn got her eGullet press pass for the event she gave my address as the eGullet "Worldwide Editorial Headquarters." So now I'm getting cool stuff addressed to Carolyn at my apartment every day. Usually it's just glossy advertising literature, but I just got some fancy looking pomegranate juice in a big cardboard tube. And I'm not sharing.

Rat Bastard!

Okay, I guess I shouldn't complain - I DID get this huge bag-o-stuff after all... (but the Pomegranate people only gave us a PEN in the bag, which I use every day!)

I'll trade you the juice for the pen, but that's my best offer.

I don't even know what the heck to do with it. The stuff came in the mail from Torani like I was supposed to know what it was. I guess I'll be making colorful blender drinks on New Year's Eve. I'll send you a picture.

I don't even know what the heck to do with it. The stuff came in the mail from Torani like I was supposed to know what it was. I guess I'll be making colorful blender drinks on New Year's Eve. I'll send you a picture.

Oh, it is the Torani stuff! I thought it was from the Pomegranate people... (I've got a POM pen).

I didn't realize Torani made a Pomegranate syrup and going to their website, I now see how many different flavors they have!

For you, I'm thinking a pomegranate version of Kir Royale...

After reading your wonderful account, my lunch of a cheese omelette seemed quite pathetic.

Sounds like a wonderful experience.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

After reading your wonderful account, my lunch of a cheese omelette seemed quite pathetic.

Sounds like a wonderful experience.

That's okay - I'm feeling especially pathetic today as my lunch is coming from a box in my freezer!

Oh god... I've got to fix this and darn quick.

Great article, but one small correction: the potato galettes were made by Jean Alberti, chef of Kokkari in San Francisco.

Thanks for keeping me honest - it was awfully hard to keep track of everyone! (you were there, I take it?)

Sorbet, Man, Sorbet.

If you look at "What did you have for dinner" for yesterday you will see some discussion about the pomegranate.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Carolyn,

Pangs of jealousy have caused me to take a whole day to read your essay in fits and starts. I just read it through from start to finish and greatly enjoyed it-But I am still immensely jealous. Nice work if you can get it, I guess :wink::wub:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Very nice report. The depth and breadth of the subject matter is *awesome* and the very nice attention to details and excellent reporting skills really helped get a feel for what was obviously a great experience. I was also reminded what a great arena eGullet is by how many people I *knew* from posts on this forum. Thank you again for the report.

colestove

Foie gras wrapped in cotton candy?  HUH?  How was it?

Simply amazing. Fat-Guy has helped out and is letting me post more pictures of the conference here. This is the chef, literally flinging the pine-nuts at the foie gras. (which was cold, btw).

foiegras3_DCE.jpg

The table before him had quite a piling of the bits of pinenuts that didn't make it, but you can see the dish in front of him has the supply. (I tried a few times to get a picture of him in mid-fling!)

edited for spelling.

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

Some additional photos...

chef1_DCE.jpg

These were the chefs behind the Culalibre Foie Gras (Personally, I think this offering was better than the spun-sugar enrobbed FG!)

ciya_DCE.jpg

This is Musa, my hero, and my sole reason for wanting to travel to Turkey!

demo1_DCE.jpg

This is what it was like, gathering around a cooking station for the Iron Chef-like presentations...

lunch3_DCE.jpg

And one of the many tables during the lunch presentation in the kitchens.

marrakesh_DCE.jpg

The Marrakesh-like room, in back.

pear_DCE.jpg

Pear and Champagne Gelée (there were four or five of these platters).

turk1_DCE.jpg

And a close-up of Musa's offerings during his smaller presentation. The plate on the bottom right is the Crow's Brains (which we all LOVED) and the one on the immediate left of that is the Topik.

Thanks, Steven, for letting me expand on this!

Hey Carolyn!

What a great article WOFC! It really brought me back to those three rainy-------------- wonderfully inspirational days I spent in Napa.

Being from “The Garden State" I find it hard to express myself without hand gestures. Me and the guy from, Barilla were like the only guyz :cool: from Jersey. Oh, and a few friends of "The Family" who are probably buried in one of those vineyards. You made it possible for my wife to see what I was trying to say for the past month.

I loved Jose Ramones, deconstruction and reconstruction, of classic dishes. In fact, after the first night when he revealed his amuse of "meat & potatoes" you could usually find me carousing around his demos, waiting to see what he would do next. Maybe it would be, "foie gras with cotton candy & pine nuts!"

Also I see photo of, "Culalibre Foie Gras with lemon cube" was that great or what!?

The chef told me he made the topping (I think it was some sort of tweak on dulce leche) with Coca Cola. I thought I was the only person who would ever admit to cooking with soda.

Did we run into each other?

I was usually seen grazing around “Andy Boy” represented by, Chef Bill Casico’s of Hullaballoo. That guy was a rabe genius!

Also, I was the guy waiting for the bus on that dark stretch of road, night after rainy night……

Harry R

Executive Chef

Sodexho

NBIMC

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"