• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A World of Flavors

Fat Guy

Harry R

Executive Chef

Sodexho

NBIMC

Hey Carolyn!

What a great article WOFC! It really brought me back to those three rainy-------------- wonderfully inspirational days I spent in Napa.

Being from “The Garden State" I find it hard to express myself without hand gestures. Me and the guy from, Barilla were like the only guyz  :cool:  from Jersey. Oh, and a few friends of "The Family" who are probably buried in one of those vineyards. You made it possible for my wife to see what I was trying to say for the past month.

Thanks, ooodles! My SO didn't attend either and every night I would drive home, desperately wishing I could have snuck home a taste or two.

Also I see photo of, "Culalibre Foie Gras with lemon cube" was that great or what!? The chef told me he made the topping (I think it was some sort of tweak on dulce leche) with Coca Cola. I thought I was the only person who would ever admit to cooking with soda.

In writing the article, I googled Culalibre and discovered it is nothing other than Rum & Coke! I didn't know it at the time, I just reveled in the creaminess of the dish. I've eaten a lot of foie gras in my time, but NOTHING has ever compared to that dish - and I think preparing it in those plastic bowls which gave it the flowered shape was brilliant!

Did we run into each other?

I was usually seen grazing around   “Andy Boy” represented by, Chef Bill Casico’s of Hullaballoo. That guy was a rabe genius!

Also, I was the guy waiting for the bus on that dark stretch of road, night after rainy night…… 

I doubt it - for some odd reason, I was painfully shy and felt somewhat out of my element. I felt like an amateur amongst these people and had a hard time striking conversations with anyone... I should've posted up front to see who else might be attending and you could've come up to the winery where I work (on Howell Mountain, just minutes from the CIA).

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

• 2 weeks later...

RE: Carolyn: "for some odd reason, I was painfully shy and felt somewhat out of my element. I felt like an amateur amongst these people and had a hard time striking conversations with anyone..."

It would be hard not being somewhat intimidated in such circumstances, but your report is far better than an "amateur" effort. I'm sure many of the event's participants would have been glad to speak with you "on the record" if they had known they might be featured in your article which was destined to appear on such an august site!

SB (okay, buttering up is the polite term, but I really mean it.)

I had dinner at La Francescana in Modena the night after Chef Massimo Bottura returned from the conference. he was very excited by it. His food was superb BTW.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 4 weeks later...

More images from The world of Flavor Conference are available here.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz