• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

More soup and wine pairing questions...

Cusina

In a previous soup and wine pairing thread it was suggested that wine and soup are a difficult match. What if the soup is the center of a light meal? I'm planning an "in front of the fireplace" dinner of cream and butter rich clam chowder, sourdough bread and a cheese and fruit board. I envision a smooth white wine with this, but am not sure what would work, if anything. Could you please give me some ideas? Suggestions for good cheeses would be welcome too. Thanks in advance for your input.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Got two words: Chenin Blanc preferably from the Loire Valley. A Demi Sec Vouvray from a good house and vintage would work well with this, get some Valencay (ash covered pyramid of goat) and you are set.

over it

I'd skip the wine, and pair it with a smooth, Brown Ale. For cheese, something semi-soft and relatively mild - like Gouda, or Tilsit. Something tells me a Pear Cider might be good with this too.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I think a little mid-afternoon tasting might be in order to decide for sure. I'll pick up a little of each and see what happens.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

The wise and talented Mark Sommelier recently served my wife and a old tawney port with chowder at Michelle Richard's Citronelle. A fino sherry might work, as well.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I'm planning an "in front of the fireplace" dinner of cream and butter rich clam chowder, sourdough bread and a cheese and fruit board. I envision a smooth white wine with this, but am not sure what would work, if anything. Could you please give me some ideas? Suggestions for good cheeses would be welcome too. Thanks in advance for your input.

Just a personal choice here; when I hear about a soup with cream, butter and clams I instinctively want something with some cut. Chablis springs to mind; even young Chablis - something intense that has never seen wood and has lots of acid - sounds like Louis Michel to me. And his stuff is usually pretty good young.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

So, progress, I have:

2000 Vouvray - Appellation Vouvray Controlee - M. Robin, Newcastle brown ale and a soon to be purchased bottle of young Chablis.

I haven't yet been able to find a port or sherry worthy of the challenge. Unfortunately, I am a long way from a really good wine shop and I am wary of what they had in stock here. It all seemed too cheap to be worthwhile. Any thoughts on the best of the moderate brands or should I just skip this if I can't find something of good caliber?

I still welcome any other suggestions.

I'll let you know what the verdict is later on in the week. I'm anticipating the fun of the comparison. Thanks again for your help!

-Dad

I would have a bottle of red ready to pour as well - while Chablis or Vouvray is an excellent suggestion, there are the occasional red-wine-only folks who might consider a white wine too "girlie".

I'd consider a Pinot (there's that addage that Pinot Noir goes with everything). I often serve a Pinot with fish and think it would complement the cheese as well.