• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Restaurant Glut

menton1

• 1 month later...
As to Italian, I can't tell you how much I welcome a place that makes fresh pasta and makes good pizza, and a GOOD red sauce. Maybe its not "exciting" but it's something I do want now and then. In Tenafly we have maybe 3 pizza parlor type places and all three of them suck. So a place like Felice which makes fresh pasta, good sauce and good pizza is a very welcome addition.

You already had Ciao Bella in Cresskill, which IMHO blows Felice away. (No cigarette smoke either!) Also Cassie's in Englewood. And countless others. As a matter of fact, if ambience is not an issue, Uncle Frank's Pizza in Dumont probably has the best pasta and Eggplant parm around.

So we finally made it to Uncle Frank's. To complete the "red sauce" joint experience, we ordered Chicken Parm, Eggplant Parm, pasta sides, with a meatball side (dense with filler), just to try them. The boring and yet too salty pasta fagiole soup should have been a warning.

While the chicken parm was OK (with good cheese that was browned just right), the eggplant was awful. Just the kind of very thinly sliced eggplant that tastes more of breading than vegetable. And it was WAY too salty. Like they had salted the eggplant and forgotten to rinse off the salt. The spaghetti side was cooked properly, but the ziti was overcooked. And the thin, boring tomato sauce looked and tasted like Hunts out of a can. I'm really surprised at your recommendation, menton. Unless this place has gone completely downhill since your last visit, I don't know how you would steer anyone there.

Shugga has also recommended it, but usually as a good place for kids, not specifically mentioning the food. OK, with kids, I could see going there for pizza.

I think Rachel summed up Uncle Frank's pretty well. I really wish we had continued on to Felice like we were going to. I would have been far, far happier there this evening. :sad:

It's pretty unusual that I dislike a plate of food so badly that I leave more than 70 percent of it sitting on my plate -- especially something simple like a red sauce dish. The red sauce in my eggplant parm (and in Rachel's chicken parm) was very runny and watery, and the whole dish was incredibly salty. I know plenty of commercial marinara sauces you can get from the supermarket that tasted better than this.

I don't think we're going back to Frank's, and I stand by my original assessment that we don't have enough -decent- red sauce places in Bergen County.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Gee, sorry you had such a bad experience at Uncle Frank's-- I've never eaten there, always take-out, we order from there every 2 weeks or so, and the pasta is consistently good, al dente, good sauce, the Eggplant parm has a great texture, not mealy like in a lot of places (you can really taste the eggplant), and their sausage and pepper hero is one of the best I've ever had. Maybe take-out is done better?

Has anybody tried the new Intermezzo, on Knickerbocker Road in the premises of the old TriValley? I have driven by many times, and the place seems very busy, and it looks like they did a nice renovation of the interior. Very close to you I think, Jason?

Gee, sorry you had such a bad experience at Uncle Frank's-- I've never eaten there, always take-out, we order from there every 2 weeks or so, and the pasta is consistently good, al dente, good sauce, the Eggplant parm has a great texture, not mealy like in a lot of places (you can really taste the eggplant), and their sausage and pepper hero is one of the best I've ever had.  Maybe take-out is done better? 

Has anybody tried the new Intermezzo, on Knickerbocker Road in the premises of the old TriValley?  I have driven by many times, and the place seems very busy, and it looks like they did a nice renovation of the interior.  Very close to you I think, Jason?

We actually stopped in to look at it last night, grabbed a menu, but didn't eat there. We probably should have, lol. We were dressed kind of schlumpy, wanting something a bit more casual so we opted not to eat there and headed toward Felice where we got sidetracked into eating at Frank's. :wacko:

Most entrees are under $15, pastas under $13, seafood dishes $17, fairly typical mid-range Italian American restaurant type stuff. Your basic sauteed chicken and veal dishes, some red sauce stuff. They had a nice looking dessert cart.

BTW the place is called Intermezzo because after the appetizer, they serve you -- an Intermezzo (sherbet).

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

families are much more willing to spend 10 dollars on "veal parm" with a side of pasta then they would 25 bucks on beef cheeks.

Maybe people would order it if it did not cost $25 - why in the world does anything made with beef cheeks cost a lot of money?

hyperbole.

although, i wonder how much mario's beef cheek ravioli dish runs at Babbo. edit: ah, 19 dollars on their website.

Edited by tommy (log)

I am Italian American gal, who wound up working in Italy as a chef. In the past 3 yrs I have traveled around Sicily, Tuscany, Veneto gathering recipes for articles. My family is from NJ, so I return home for holidays and agree that there is not enough creativity and authenticity in certain areas. Someone mentioned Sicilian Sun cuisine (probably thinking of the "red sauce" restaurants). When I think Sicilian Sun cuisine, I think of vanilla oranges, swordfish, fresh oregano, capers. Ingredients that are not often found on menus here in NJ.

I have often thought about offering a consulting service to restaurant start-ups in the area, b/c I feel that many restaurant owners are forced to be commited to their local environment and community and therefore do not have the youth or time to travel to Italy and research the real deal. Please e-mail me if you know of any such new rest owners who could benefit from my ideas.

I must admit ... I am craving Italian American style food when I get back to the states (b/c it really does not exist in Italy). Both styles are wonderful when done the right way.

BTW the place is called Intermezzo because after the appetizer, they serve you -- an Intermezzo (sherbet).

Yes, several restaurants in Italy do that, it supposed to "cleanse the palate" for the next course. Quite nice.

BTW, Jason, there is another similar-type place also close by to you, Terrana, in Bergenfield on Clinton Ave and Washington. Any reports on this place? In the warm weather, the outside patio here looks quite nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, several restaurants in Italy do that, it supposed to "cleanse the palate" for the next course. Quite nice.

BTW, Jason, there is another similar-type place also close by to you, Terrana, in Bergenfield on Clinton Ave and Washington. Any reports on this place? In the warm weather, the outside patio here looks quite nice.

Terrana is pretty good. Nothing spectacular but you wouldn't be disappointed. It's just a nice friendly BYO.

My Valentine's dinner was at Andiamo's in Haworth not too far away. You should give that place a try if you haven't been.

Two more names on the endless list of Italian restaurants:

DiMora, Piermont Road, Norwood

La Casa Vecchia, Closter Dock Road, Closter.

Anybody been?

N.B. Thought the food at Andiamo's was a bit tired, and a bit overpriced. They should also try dusting those old basket-type wine bottles as well. The place could use a makeover.

I am having lunch with a business associate/friend on Friday. He has suggested we meet at Luka's in Ridgefield Park. Anyone ever been there? Just curious as I don't think I have much choice about where we eat. :rolleyes:

Janbee

Lover of Broadway, beaches and chocolate.

Re Intermezzo Restaurant on Knickerbocker Ave.

Several people have told me not to bother going there. They said the food was so-so and the service sucked!

As to Uncle Frank's...

I never ordered the parm items there and do not like thieir sauce. And I do not cook with salt and also find their soups very salty. But I love their seafood salad. (extra lemon)

We go there often after Mass on Saturday evenings and usually order one of the specials. The last time I was there, about 2 weeks ago, I had the pork medalion special over broccoli rabe. It was very tasty. Lots of garlic, the way I like it.

I usually order the house salad with dinner.

It's not a classy or great place, but we know all the regulars and usually meet some one we haven't seen in a while there. So it's a kinda homey meeting place.

Andiamo's, another one of our favoite places, has had a face lift. Probably about a year ago. The old 60's chianti bottles are gone.. :)

Edited by shugga (log)

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde